Life in Boulder is pretty sweet. The sun is almost always shining, people are smiling, and the fashion can't be beat. OK, so it's not exactly Paris or Milan, but that doesn't mean we don't have a killer sense of style. I bet if you were to stroll down Pearl Street at this very moment, you'd see at least 5 women looking fab. What's more, I guarantee they're wearing at least one Boulder Fashion Essential. Don't know what that includes? Let's take a look.
- Let's face it, Boulder is a mountain town, which means mountain climate. It tends to get a bit chilly. But are people wearing pea coats and fur chubbies? Um, no. This town is all about fashion and function, which means your outerwear has to have some technical abilities. I'm talking Patagonia, North Face, or Mont Bell, to name a few. My personal fave is the Women's Retro-X Vest from Patagonia in Sable Brown. Worn with a comfy Splendid tee and J Brand Jeans, you'll be the best-dressed in the check-out line at Whole Foods.
- Chances are, if you walk into Max, Corepower, or even the local Target, you're going to see a woman wearing tights or leggings. These babies are a necessity. Wear yours with an over sized flannel, and a pair of boots.
- Speaking of boots, if you're not wearing a pair of Frye's or Ugg's, it's time to make an investment. Some may say that Ugg's are so 2007, but I say, wear 'em. Mine keep me cozy and warm, plus they look great over leggings or skinny jeans. If you threw out your Ugg's with your Juicy Velour sweatsuit, no worries. Frye boots (or any cowboy boot) are the way to go. Personally, I invested in a pair of Lucchese's.
- A great pair of jeans are a Boulder must. Worn anywhere from happy hour at The Kitchen to Saturday morning at McGuckin's, jeans are your go-to wardrobe necessity. They don't have to be pricey to look amazing. I love a classic pair of Levi's just as much as a premium pair from Current/Elliott.
- Last but certainly not least, you've got to be wearing some shades if your going to survive in Boulder. With an average of 300 days of sun per year, you won't want to leave home without them. But remember, we're not in Laguna Beach. No Chanel logos or tacky double G's. I'd go with a classic pair of Ray-Ban's. The Wayfarer style or Aviators are always a safe bet.
Well, there you go! Now you're looking like a Boulder native. And remember, if you're ever feeling out of place, just reach for a Kombucha or a yoga mat. You'll be back in business in no time.