There's nothing like trying a new beauty trick or trend to get your mojo back. Here's a look at five looks you can expect to see a lot of in 2013. Try one or all of them to add some flavor to your new year.
- Mussed hair. The runways were all about buns, ponytails and loose locks that were just a little messy. This works best with day-after-washing hair, but if you are determined to get the look no matter how clean your hair is, try a texturizing spray. Those intended for beachy 'dos are also great since they typically contain sea salt to add texture and dimension to hair. When your bun just doesn't look right, add some spray to the ponytail before wrapping the hair around the elastic. This gives the hair some control, but also looks effortless and cool. Hey, messy hair is intentional, right?!
- Rosy lips. After months of vampy hues on the lips, we're now after something softer and lighter. Rosy lips can be achieved with a matte bright rose tone. We aren't talking bubblegum pink or a milky tone, but that flushed color your lips may naturally have. It's that, only amplified. Lip stains are a great way to get this look.
- Flawless skin. Less is more on the skin for 2013. It's all about fresh, glowing skin, whether it's day or night. BB creams are all the rage and every brand is launching one, but if you find yourself needing more coverage, opt for a pressed mineral powder. When applied with a damp sponge or fluffy duo fiber brush, pressed mineral powder offers a lot more coverage than when applied on its own.
- The soft, but definitely there contour. Make your skin pop with cheek bones that say it all. Create stronger contouring than you usually would by opting for a cocoa or slightly gray-toned powder. Use a small blush brush to carve out the cheek bones where they naturally creating a slightly exaggerated effect. It's all about soft dimension, so be sure to blend the contouring out.
- Simple nails. We aren't saying say goodbye to your massive collection of polish. But, fashion is moving away from the crazy, opulent nail trends we've seen for the past couple of years. Major color in cream finishes ruled the runway shows in New York and Paris. Saturated pastels are where it's at for spring 2013, including pink, lavender, baby blue and pale yellow.