A faulty wood burning stove is to blame for a five-alarm blaze in Walworth County, Wisconsin this afternoon. Firefighters from agencies in Beloit, Delavan and as far away as Hebron, Illinois responded to the MABAS call just after 9:45 a.m.
The property belonging to Doris and Phillip Katzenberger, W8726 School Section Road, Darien, suffered severe smoke and water damage.
“Due to a lack of fire hydrants, we had to bring tenders and tankers to the scene. Cold weather slightly hampered our efforts, but we were eventually able to get the fire under control,” said Darien Fire Chief Justin Schuenke.
Damages are estimated at $150,000. The American Red Cross assisted the family during the crisis. There was only one report of a Whitewater fireman injured during the blaze, but he did not require medical transport.
SOURCES: Metro News Milwaukee & FOX6Now.com "Blocks"