America the beautiful! This 4th of July celebrate the Red, White & Blue with a patriotic party!
Or, find a fun and festive 4th of July community event in Orange County at Just-Spotted.com!
Start your party with a bang!
- Place your invitation inside of a party cracker tube.
- Attach your invitation to a party popper.
- Place your invitation inside a red, white and blue balloon with patriotic confetti inside.
- Red, white and blue tablecloths and paper goods
- American flags from toothpick to flagpole size!
- Star shaped confetti
- Patriotic streamers, bunting and garlands.
- Star shaped balloons
Kids and adults will enjoy a bike parade. Ask guests to come with their bikes already decorated, or provide streamers, flags, garlands, pinwheels, balloons and other decorations. For added fun, make it fast and furious with limited time and supplies and see what everyone can create!
- Have an adult lead the way down the block, through the neighborhood or around a park.
- Play patriotic music from a portable speaker.
- Younger children can ride in decorated wagons as the caboose of the parade!
COOK OFF CONTEST
Ask guests to bring a chili, hot dog, baked good or apple pie to share for a Cook-Off Contest! (This is a great way to make your party a potluck!)
Print ballots for all guests to vote for the winners in each category. Winners can be “Best of,” but also have funny categories, such as: Most Patriotic, Spiciest Chili, Biggest Sugar Rush, Kids Favorite, etc.
- Lifesaver Firecrackers: Wrap a roll of lifesavers candy in patriotic craft paper (or red/blue paper can be decorated with markers). Place a glittery pipe cleaner or frilled toothpick in the top of the roll as the spark.
- Firecracker Noisemakers: Place a scoop of dried beans inside a toilet paper or paper towel tube. Seal the ends of the tube with plastic wrap and a rubber band. Roll the tube in red, blue or patriotic tissue paper (be sure paper extends a few inches past the end of the tube). Tie the tissue at the ends of the tube with festive ribbon or glittery pipe cleaners. Decorate outside of the noisemaker with markers, stickers and glitter. Shake, rattle and roll!
- 4th of July Flyers: Purchase plain red, white or blue flying disks or beach balls. Decorate with permanent markers and stickers.
It wouldn’t be the 4th of July without relay races!
- Potato Sack Race. Use traditional burlap sacks or make sacks out of festive fabric.
- Sponge Relay: Teams dip large sponges into a bucket of water and race to fill an empty bucket at the other end of the race. Use patriotic buckets or bowls.
- Egg & Spoon Race: Dye eggs red and blue (draw stars on eggs with white crayon prior to dipping in the dye—the wax will keep the egg white)
- Water Balloon Toss. Use red, white and blue balloons, of course!
Consider a “Cook-off” to make your party a potluck (see above).
- Hot Dogs can be made to look like firecrackers with a frilled toothpick stuck into the end and ketchup stripes. Try the world famous Top Dogs, orders can be shipped from Berkley, CA!
- Baked Beans or Chili (keep warm in a crock pot)
- Chips (Try red, white and blue tortilla chips at Trader Joes)
Corn on the Cob
- Red and blue pop rocks candy over vanilla ice cream.
- Red, white and blue popsicles
- Berry Flag cake (Blueberries make the star patch, and strawberries and whipped cream make the stripes.)
Or, try a great 4th of July recipe from Cooking With Trader Joes!
FIREWORKS DISPLAYS IN ORANGE COUNTY
Find a fireworks extravaganza near you at Just-Spotted.com
Going to watch a fireworks display? Remember to bring these things to enjoy the show!
- Glow Bracelets (helps find the kids in the dark!)
- Camera (many digital cameras have a “fireworks” setting)
- Wagon (to carry everything)
- Snacks and drinks (if it cools down at night, consider coffee or cocoa in thermoses)
Fireworks at home can be dangerous and are illegal in many cities. Try these alternatives instead:
- Have a Silly String Bonanza. Give guests cans of red, white and blue silly string and have fun! (Afterwards have a contest to see who can collect the most string to clean up!)
- Drop Mentos in a liter bottle of Diet Coke for an geyser-like explosion! (Note: this should be done with caution by an adult)
- Pop poppers, throw pop-its and blow party blowers and horns.
- Pop the cork on champagne and sparkling cider!
Want to Pep Up your parties? Just click on the “SUBSCRIBE” button above to receive email alerts when Alii’s latest articles are available.
Remember a great party can be measured in smiles!