4th Annual Trails n Tails – Santa Barbara Botanical Garden
Want some quality time with your pooch this weekend? How about celebrating National Dog Day by visiting the Santa Barbara Botanical Garden, Saturday, August 24th for Trails n Tails.
The community is invited to bring their four-legged friends to the Garden on Saturday from 10am to 4pm. This is an event which began as a way to let the community know that the Garden is always dog-friendly (there is even a Doggie Membership!), but has truly grown into a celebration of all things canine.
Dog-friendly events on Saturday include:
• ONE FREE Admission for Visitors with a Leashed Dog
• “Who's That Doggie in the Garden?” Photo Contest
• On-Site Filming of Dog/Owner Interviews/Vignettes
• Dog Vendors with Free Giveaways & Offers
• “Pawcasso!” Dog-Art Activities
• Canine Sculpture Exhibit & Presentation by Susan Bahary
• Doggie Prize Raffle
• Doggie Docent Tours
• Santa Barbara Police Department K-9 Demonstration
• Dog Adoptions
The Garden's fourth annual event offers one free admission per leashed dog and includes a number of new activities this year. Among them an exclusive exhibit by locally-based, nationally acclaimed sculptress, Susan Bahary.
Also featured this year is the Pawcasso! dog-art workshop made possible by volunteers at Operation Freedom Paws. Based in Gilroy, this organization's mission is to provide service dogs to veterans and others with disabilities to help transition into and actively participate in their communities. Volunteers will be working with the Garden's furry visitors in creating original artwork to take home.
“We hold this event to draw attention to the fact that the Garden is always dog-friendly,” said SBBG Executive Director, Dr. Steve Windhager. “Our easy-to-walk paths and beautiful landscapes are the perfect settings for leashed dogs…and their owners too.”
Visitors are encouraged to pose for the “Doggie in the Garden” photo contest. The winning dog will be the face of 2014 Trails 'n' Tails. Drawing prizes to be awarded include gift certificates for dog grooming and pet medical care, a dog gift basket, and an art piece of their beloved pooch created exclusively for the winner. Drawing tickets are $5.00 each or 3 for $10 and winners need not be present to win.
As attendance is limited by a Conditional Use Permit, only 205 people can be allowed into the Garden at one time. Visitors are encouraged to use public transportation via MTD's bus number 22 on the weekends. All dogs MUST be on-leash to enter the Garden.
For more information visit the gardens website at www.sbbg.org
The garden is located at 1212 Mission Canyon Road, Santa Barbara, telephone: (805) 682-4726
• From Highway 101 (northbound or southbound):
• Take the Mission Street off ramp, turning toward the mountains on Mission Street
• Follow Mission Street seven blocks toward the mountains (looking for the brown and white “Botanic Garden” signs) to Santa Barbara Street
• Turn left onto Santa Barbara Street and proceed 2 blocks to the first stop sign at Los Olivos Street
• Turn right onto Los Olivos Street and drive past Mission Santa Barbara;
• Continue north toward the mountains to the stop sign at Foothill Road
• Turn right onto Foothill Road and proceed to the stop sign at Mission Canyon Road
• Turn left ontoMission Canyon Road
• Follow Mission Canyon Road, and then bear right at the fork of Mission Canyon Road and Tunnel Road
• Proceed about 1/2 mile; the Garden is on the left at 1212 Mission Canyon Road
(Pass the bottom exit on Mission Canyon Road, and look for a large sign at the top entrance)
If you have any difficulty finding the garden call (805) 682-4726, ext. 149 for assistance or visit the garden’s website for a map at http://www.sbbg.org/visit/directions