Here are the step you need to take to prepare for job fairs in the area.
1. Order a double sided business card for networking. Keep in mind, your job is to stand out among all of the other motivated job seekers. On the front side, be sure to add your name, phone, email, web portfolio, LinkedIn address, and four key bulleted points showing your most valuable skills or competencies.
On the back side, be sure to add four power laden achievements or accomplishments. Be sure to give out to everyone. Your goal is to collect more business cards than you give out. If you want to support local business, order your cards from the good folks at the Jumpstart Agency. They can be reached at www.jumpstartagencyllc.com or by phone at 931-378-7137.
2. Before you print your job-winning resume on super nice deluxe resume writing paper be sure that every single job descriptor is written in the form or an achievement or an accomplishment. Employers no longer appreciate a job description. They know what your job description will be as they are hiring officials. Smile. They are, however, looking for powerful descriptors explaining how you made a quantifiable difference in the jobs and community organizations.
3. Present a 30 to 45 second introduction, introducing yourself and giving a quick overview of who you are as a professional. For example, "I am an accomplished logistics professional with 5+ years’ experience, best known for my ability to get results through a high-performance team made up of cross functional team members, saving my company $1,500 quarterly as a result of my 0 safety incidents."
4. Prepare three questions to ask each recruiter. One must ask question is "Can you tell me the name of the manager in charge of the department or position that I am applying for?" Ask questions that demonstrate that you have researched the company.
To get additional assistance with any of these services, see www.careeronestop.org to locate your area career centers. Now that you are ready, Job Fairs are listed below:
- Chamber of Commerce & Veterans Recruiting Partner, Recruit Military host “Hiring Our Heroes” Job Fair, Thursday, Jan. 24, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., LP Field, 1 Titans Way.
- Nashville State Lowe’s Spring Job Fair, Friday, Jan. 259 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tennessee Career Center, 299 10th Avenue East, Springfield, Tennessee.
- Nashville Area College to Career Fair, Tuesday, Feb. 7 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Nashville Area Teachers Recruitment Fair, Tuesday, Feb. 7 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Nashville Area Career Fair Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013, 10 a.m. to 3p.m. @ Williamson County Ag Expo Center.
- National Career Fairs Monday, March 4, 2013, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Holiday Inn Opryland Airport, 2200 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville.
- Nationwide Job Fair, Thursday, March 14, 2013, Holiday Inn Airport, 2200 Elm Hill Pike. See www.nationwidejobfairs.com.
- The Tennessee Career Coach will be present on the campus of Nashville State Community College, Thursday, March 28, 2013, 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., 120 White Bridge Road.