The fire broke out about 1:15pm at 306 South Street and Asticou Road Saturday afternoon sending thick smoke and flames that could be seen from a distance in the air.
First arriving fire companies found the Asticou Road side of the home well involved in fire. The residents who were home escaped without injury. A total of six residents were displaced and are receiving aid from the American Red Cross.
The house is owned by Patricia Adams who moved into the house when she was seven years old over 50 years ago. She lived on the second floor and rented the first to tenants who were home at the time of the fire.
Fire officials say a cat belonging to the tenants was killed in the blaze.
Two Firefighters also sustained injuries while battling the blaze and were being treated at local hospitals.
Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Fleming estimates the damage to the home to be $350,000 and several cars also sustained damage.
Adams, her son Chris and sister Kathleen Kiernan were allowed to enter the house several hours later to retrieve personal and sentimental belongings but not much was able to be salvaged. Adams was able to recover her father's military medals and socks belonging to her grandchildren.
The fire was declared under control about 3:30pm according to officials.