Here’s a remarkable roster of open-air music venues to visit this summer.
Music fans across the United States flock to scenic amphitheaters to enjoy outdoor concerts of every imaginable music genre. Locals and road trippers alike line up for open-air entertainment all summer long.
Consider this selection of 36 popular outdoor concert properties (listed alphabetically by site name) across America.
Several of these well-known musical performance spots boast general-admission lawn options for picnickers, but others offer ticketed seats only.
This content is copyrighted. Please feel free to share the http/link, but no cut-and-paste copying or republishing without the author's permission.
- Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wisconsin
- The American Folklore Theatre, Door County, Wisconsin
- Bayfront Park Amphitheater, Miami, Florida
- Boarding House Park, Lowell, Massachusetts
- Central Park Summer Stage, Manhattan, New York
- Chateau Amphitheatre, Woodinville, Washington
- Country Thunder, Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
- Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, California
- The Gorge Amphitheater, George, Washington
- Governor’s Island, New York, New York
- The Greek Theatre, Berkeley, California
- Greenwood Amphitheatre, Greenwood, Indiana
- Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, Virginia
- Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, California
- Jack London State Park, Sonoma County, California
- Kresge Auditorium, Interlochen, Michigan
- Manchester Farm, Manchester, Tennessee
- Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, Maryland
- Millennium Park, Chicago, Illinois
- The Mohawk, Austin, Texas
- Mountain Rails Live, Fir Mountain, Colorado
- The National Mall, Washington, DC
- The Nikon at Jones Beach Theatre, Wantagh, New York
- Open Air Theatre, Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
- Pioneer Amphitheater, Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Texas
- Ravinia Park, Highland Park, Illinois
- Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, Colorado
- Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, California
- Santa Fe Opera, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Saratoga Performing Arts Center at Spa State Park, Saratoga Springs, New York
- Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, California
- Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheater, Deer Valley Resort Park City, Utah
- Summerfest Grounds, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Verizon Wireless Music Center / Deer Creek Park, Noblesville, Indiana
- Wintergreen Resort, Wintergreen, Virginia
Additionally, many major sports stadium and arena locations and racetracks offer popular concerts, particularly during the summer season. A host of national parks and larger zoos do as well. Chart-topping artists and classical performers alike often add these open-air concert venues to their tour dates.
Writers: Want to learn how you can join Examiner as a columnist in your choice of cities and topics? Email me for details.
Each of these outdoor concert locations has its own characteristics, from technical qualities to scenery to overall ambiance. Acoustic qualities and audience amenities vary greatly among all of these American outdoor music venues. Some locations are small and intimate, while others accommodate huge crowds for mega-hit summer concerts and music festivals.