The 32nd Annual Taste of Melrose Park is a family oriented community festival that runs Labor Day weekend, Fri.-Sat.-Sun., Aug. 30-31 and Sept. 1, 2013. The food fest is set in the Chicago area suburb settled by Italian immigrants and the neighborhood retains its Italian flavor.
The neighborhood food festival is set apart from many other festivals in that most food portions are homemade by families in the area, often using old family recipes. The fest advertises that all food portions are $3 or less, keeping the cost affordable. A listing of over 70 varieties of food is on the Taste of Melrose Park flyer.
In addition to the food, the fest features music on four stages, amusement rides for kids, crafts and other entertainment. The weekend of fun concludes with the Salute to America Fireworks display on Sun. night.
Four stages of entertainment feature the music of live bands. Entertainers include the Jesse White Tumblers, R-Gang, Classical Blast, Juke Box Band, Tony Caponi & Bill Hall and more. The headliners on the Main Stage are:
- Fri.: Pat Capuzzi (6:45 p.m.) and Infinity rock tribute band (8:30-10:15 p.m.).
- Sat. : Nick Ponterelli (6 p.m.), Danny Fox (7:15 p.m.) and American English Beatles tribute Band (8:30 -10:45 p.m.).
- Sun.: The Associates (5:45 p.m.) and Blooze Brothers paying homage to Jake & Elwood (8:15-9:45 p.m.).
The fest wraps up with the Salute to America fireworks spectacle on Sun. night at 10 p.m..
Festival hours are: Fri. 5-11 p.m., Sat. noon-11 p.m. and Sun. noon-10 p.m..
Taste of Melrose Park is a street festival that is free to attend. The fest is located at the Melrose Park Village Complex, near the northwest corner of 25th Ave. and Lake St.. Free parking and shuttle service is available.
- Chicago area fests celebrate Labor Day weekend
- Chicago Jazz Festival at Millennium Park on Labor Day weekend
- Buffalo Grove Days a festival on Labor Day weekend
- 43rd Annual Septemberfest in Schaumburg on Labor Day weekend
- Lake in the Hills Summer Sunset Festival on Labor Day weekend
- Taste of Polonia fest in Chicago on Labor Day weekend
- Backward American Eagle rides at Six Flags offer thrills