Shhh, don't tell anyone, but women are welcomed to join non-traditional career fields. And guess what? They are receiving higher wages, excellent pensions and exquisite promotional opportunities within those non-traditional fields. Now let me share the secrets about it all:
Secret #1 - Just what is a non-traditional career field? It includes jobs in architecture, computer programming, computer software, detectives, chefs, clergy, engineers, aircraft pilots and construction occupations. Take a look at a full list of thousands of jobs that are considered non-traditional by clicking here. You can access entrance into many of these fields with the support of such organizations as
- Hard Hatted Women (HHW)
- Women in Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Occupations (WANTO)
- Nontraditional Employment for Women (New York City Office #212.727.6252)
Secret #2 - The definition of a non-traditional career field is one in which women make up less than 25% of the total number of women, according to the Department of Labor. If you want to know who works in non-traditional fields, click here.
- 5.8% of all working women are currently employed in a non-traditional field. That is about 4.2 million women out of 68 million women working.
- Among the jobs in which women are considered to work in non-traditional jobs, according to the Department of Labor, women comprise the following:
- 5.7% Employed are Black Women. 6.0% Employed are White Women. 6.0% Employed are Hispanic Women
Secret #3 - According to Wider Opportunities for Women Organization, the benefits of women entering non-traditional career areas range from earning an average of $644 salary weekly versus $$47 weekly in traditional jobs to being able to take advantage of established career ladders, offering women the ability to work their way up to higher wages and better benefits.
It is against the law to discriminate against anyone in the workplace. We garner together to encourage our women to 'be all that you can be' in non-traditional careers. One book recommended in Work Sister Work by Cydney and Leslie Shields. This book will encourage and educate you and success in the workplace. And if you need more assistance, the staff of Let Me Write It For You is here to help out! See Debra Ann on Face Book @ www.facebook.com/letmewriteit4u.