Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

2nd Boston marathon bombing suspect arrested

The second Boston marathon bombing suspect is alive and in custody at a hospital in serious condition, according to authorities in Boston. Watertown, Mass. residents cheered local police for bringing a peaceful end to an otherwise harrowing and violent day.

The first photo released of the 2nd Boston bombing suspect being arrested.
Image in public domain at
Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, was apprehended shortly before 9pm EST in Watertown, MA.
Photo provided by FBI via Getty Images

Shortly before 9 p.m. EST today, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass. was arrested by local police after being cornered in a covered boat on a trailer in a backyard in Watertown, Mass.

Tsarnaev is suffering from a gunshot wound that he apparently sustained in a shootout with police early this morning.

Authorities were led to the boat by an observant Watertown resident who noticed blood stains on the boat. A Forward Looking Infra-Red (FLIR) thermal device mounted on a helicopter confirmed someone was hiding in the boat.

The events began at approximately 10:20 p.m. EST yesterday. Gunfire and explosions erupted in Watertown, Mass. after a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) police officer was shot dead in his vehicle while responding to a possible robbery at a convenience store in Cambridge, Mass.

The suspects flight from the scene led to a carjacking, pursuit and a shootout in Watertown, Mass. that involved the use of explosive devices, described as grenades, thrown from the vehicle being pursued. Some of the explosives detonated and some undetonated ones were secured by bomb squad officers.

One suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was shot by police and pronounced dead at 1:35 a.m. EST. Another police officer from the Metro Boston Transit Authority (MBTA) was critically wounded in the shootout.

The carjacking victim, who has not been named, informed WCBV in Boston that during the pursuit, the suspects said that they killed the MIT police officer and are the Boston marathon bombers. The suspects used his debit card to withdraw $800 from an ATM.

Tactical officers from multiple law enforcement agencies, including the Watertown police, the Boston PD, the Mass. State police, the FBI, as well as the National Guard and DHS remained at the scene and conducted house-to-house searches.

Authorities put the city of Boston in a virtual lock down as the manhunt for the second suspect continued and residents were warned not to open their doors to anyone but an identified police officer. Motor vehicles were not allowed in or out of Watertown. MBTA services and taxi services were suspended throughout the city. Businesses and schools were closed leaving the streets of an otherwise bustling metropolis eerily vacant for most of the day.

No motives for the attacks have been established, but now that the manhunt for the Boston Marathon bombers is over authorities can begin to address many questions, the first and foremost of which is: Why would two young men with seemingly bright futures, no known mental illnesses and no known propensity for violence commit such heinous acts?

Thanks to local Boston law enforcement agencies for capturing Tsarnaev alive, it is possible that answers may be found.

A uncut home video of the shootout broadcast on can be viewed here. A live local news feed is also available here:

More interesting coverage, videos and photos are available at Before it's News.


Report this ad