The Southeast Wisconsin Endurance Challenge (SWEC) tosses the gauntlet for area athletes with a free program to track personal goals and progress.
Individuals enroll for free in the SWEC and log in to record the results in approved events. Regular participants can earn points for prizes in the year-long program, aimed at boosting awareness and enjoyment of healthy lifestyles and fitness.
“Anyone is welcome to join,” reads the official SWEC description. “The more you complete SWEC Approved events, the more cool stuff you can get. Times do not matter, just crossing the finish line. 6 minute miles or 15 minute miles, it does not matter. You are out there and that is what counts!”
Approved events include 5K and 10K races, as well as bike races, paddling events, and more.
Take a look at the many SWEC events already posted:
- Cupid’s 5K – Saturday, February 15
- SWEC Fitness Cruise – March 10-16
- Run into Spring – Saturday, April 12
- Mom’s Day 5K – Sunday, May 11
- Root River Challenge – Saturday, May 17
- Cree Cruise – Saturday, May 31
- Whitewater Rafting and Overnight Camping – Saturday, June 14
- Climb, Camp, Canoe Overnight Camping – June 21-22
- SWEC Zip Lining and Team Building – Saturday, July 26
- Skydive Midwest – August 9, 23 and 30
- Iron Horse 5K – Saturday, August 16
- Focus on Community 5K – Saturday, September 6
- Holiday Mile – Saturday, November 8
- Veterans Day 5K / 10K – Saturday, November 8
- Stuff the Sleigh 5K – Saturday, November 29
- Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis – Saturday, December 7
- Nearly Naked 5K – Saturday, December 13
Additional SWEC events may be added.
SWEC points may earn prizes, swag, gift cards, and shopping discounts. The group plans an end-of-year banquet on January 10, 2015, in Racine. Awards will then be presented to the top three male and female challenge members, based on recorded 5K race times during the year. Additional year-end recognitions will include the Individual Most Improved Runner, Individual Weight Loss Challenge Winner, and several team awards.
All current-year events must be recorded by December 31, 2014. Late SWEC enrollees may record results from past results within the current challenge dates.
Regional Run Organizers: Email me with your event details, at least a month in advance, for possible inclusion in upcoming articles. Please include flyers, if available, or tag me on your Facebook event pages.
Please note: Thank you for reading and for sharing the link to this article with others. Feel free to +1, Digg, Facebook, Pin, Stumble, Tweet, or otherwise pass the http link along. However, this content is copyrighted, so the actual article (or images) may not be copied and reposted on blogs, social networking sites, websites, or elsewhere.
Readers: You are invited to subscribe (confidentially and free, using the link provided above) to receive e-mail updates whenever this columnist publishes a new article. Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You may wish to join this writer's fan page. Be sure to “like” the Running Examiner – Milwaukee and More page on Facebook for news, information, and inspiration for runners.
Writers: Want to learn how you can join Examiner as a columnist in your choice of cities and topics? Email me for details.