The second annual Lit Crawl Seattle is rolling back into town on Thursday, October 24. Lit Crawl is a literary pub crawl founded by Litquake, San Francisco's Literary Festival. The concept, often referred to as "literary mayhem at its very finest," encourages a broad and often sophisticated gamut of literary expression. In addition to Seattle, Lit Crawl has been franchised to New York, Brooklyn, Los Angeles, Austin and Iowa City. Portland, Oregon and London, England are making their Lit Crawl debuts in 2013. Each city creates its own version of Lit Crawl, reflecting the literary makeup and talents of the city.
Writers will be giving readings at venues throughout Seattle -- most of them located on Capitol Hill. Nineteen 45-minute sessions are scheduled, running in three sessions, beginning on the hour at 6 PM. Maps are available at Elliott Bay Book Company, Richard Hugo House and participating venues on Capitol Hill. They're also available for download on the Lit Crawl Seattle website. The event is free and open to the public.
The impressive lineup of speakers in Seattle includes novelists, short story writers, poets, memoirists, YA authors, rockers and cartoonists. Among the featured writers are Ivan Doig, Will Self, Nicole Hardy, Claire Dederer, Suzanne Morrison, Ellen Forney, Ryan Boudinot, Peter Mountford, Kevin Sampsill and Neal Thompson. Here are the sessions; full details are available on the website:
- Ivan Doig Reads Sweet Thunder - Town Hall
- Drawn Out: Graphic Novels - Richard Hugo House
- Women on the Verge - Century Ballroom
- Oh, The Places You'll Go - Von Trapp's
- Poetry to Poco: Love, Addiction and Owls - Poco Wine + Spirits
- Bits and Pieces: Essays from The Magazine - Barca
- Three Jennys Walk Into a Bar - Sam's Tavern
- Will Self Reads Umbrella - Seattle Central Library
- Institutionalized: Books, Bands and Punk Rawk - Richard Hugo House
- Wage Slaves: Tales from the Grind - Office Nomads
- Crazy Sexy Zombies - Babeland
- Dark Coast Press: Works in Progress - Sam's Tavern
- Tin House Presents: New Novels - Photo Center
- Hugo House Presents: Adult Story House - Richard Hugo House
- Rhyme and Reason: Poets Who Teach - Vermillion Gallery
- Copper Canyon Presents: Poets with Candy - Sole Repair
- A Big Ol'-Fashioned Queer Bash - The Lobby Bar
- Hedgebrook Hauntings: Stories of Mothers and Other Ghosts - The Project Room
- Farm to Fable - Capitol Cider
The Lit Crawl Seattle Afterparty at Richard Hugo House is 9 pm-midnight. Join the literati for this evening event featuring Poem Shop by Matthew Rowe; Hot Dog Stop; and beer from Georgetown Brewing Company (cash bar). Lit Crawl authors' titles will be for sale by Elliott Bay Book Co.