Now that Christmas has passed, it’s time to get ready for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day celebrations. You may have a full house of revelers or just family with a few friends; however it’s still fun to have some New Year’s trivia questions and answers available for fun times and for guests to show off their knowledge of New Year’s Eve and Day trends!
Have some fun with these New Year’s trivia questions by cutting them out and placing them in a basket. Have a bell by the basket and tell your guests to ring the bell when they want to challenge someone else with their New Year’s knowledge; or simply ring the bell and whoever is closest to the basket gets to read a New Year’s trivia question.
25 of the best New Year’s trivia questions and answers:
- When do the Chinese celebrate their New Year? At the second full moon after winter solstice
- The first New Year's Eve ball drop in Times Square happened in? 1907
- The Jewish New Year is called? Rosh Hashanah
- What does Auld Lang Syne mean? Times gone by
- Where is one of the largest annual New Year's Eve celebrations? Sydney, Austrailia
- How many fireworks are set off from the Sydney Harbour Bridge? Over 80,000 fireworks
- How do they celebrate the new year in Edinburgh, UK? People gather for a large organized street party
- Where is a centenary clock is lowered at 23:59:48 on New Year’s Eve? Madrid, Spain
- On New Year’s eve what is a First Night celebration? A family friendly, non alcoholic celebration of the New Year
- Name five of the top 10 New Year resolutions. Lose weight, stop smoking, stick to a budget, save money, find a better job, get more organized, exercise more, be more patient, eat better, be a better person.
- Name the most popular New Year's Day parade. Tournament of Roses
- When was Pasadena's Valley hunt clubs first parade? 1890 Tournament of Roses
- How much does New York's Waterford crystal ball weigh? 6 foot diameter, 1,070 pounds
- When does the crystal ball begin lowering in Times Square? 11:59 pm
- What is Father Time? A mythical personification of time
- In what state is a pine cone dropped on New Year's eve? Flagstaff, Arizona
- What state drops a purple beach ball decorated with Christmas lights? Bangor, Maine
- What city is a countdown done with an elevator? Seattle
- In what countries is New Year's eve a public non-working holiday? Argentina, Brazil, Germany, the Philippines, Venezuela
- What is known as the Lunar New Year or the Spring Festival? The Chinese New Year
- What is eaten to symbolize a sweet new year in Rosh Hashanah? Apples and honey
- In the ancient Roman calendar when did the new year begin? March 1
- What year did they first drop the New Year's Ball in New York's Time Square? December 31, 1907
- When was the first New Year holiday observed? In ancient Babylon about 4,000 years ago
- What New Year tradition began in Greece around 600 BC? Using a baby to signify the New Year
Have fun with your family and friends on New Year’s Eve and start a new tradition of quizzing each other on New Year’s fun facts.
Have a safe and happy New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Etiquette! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!