If you love cherries and enjoyed the last recipe for cherry meringues, here is another cheery cherry cookie.
Bartlesville resident, Heather Tisdale, shares a recipe for wonderful cherry cookies that take a quick dip in melted white chocolate that makes them perfectly festive for the holidays. Red decorator sugar gives them an added festive touch.
This recipe comes from her aunt Neva. As soon as Heather tasted the cookie, she knew she needed the recipe.
White Chocolate Dipped Cherry Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen
- 2-½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup cold butter
- ½ cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 12 (1 oz) squares white baking chocolate, divided 6 oz finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Red decorator sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and ½ cup sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Knead in the cherries, 2/3 cup chopped white chocolate and extract until dough forms a ball.
- Shape into ¾-inch balls. (I use my small scoop for this)
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Flatten slightly with a glass dipped in remaining sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining white chocolate at 70% power; stir until smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie into chocolate; dip in red decorator sugar or sprinkle on top.
- Place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container.