If you love cherries, you'll love this next cookie. More than just an ordinary meringue cookie, this one has those candied cherries that are usually found in fruitcake as well as chopped nuts and dates too.
Bake these cookies until they are lightly browned and firm to the touch. Baking at a lower temperature setting is the key here.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup pitted and chopped dates
- 1/3 cups candied cherries
- Preheat oven to 300. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time until mixture is glossy and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in walnuts, dates and dried cherries
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until nicely browned and firm to the touch.
- Remove to write rack and cool completely.