The second cookie from Richard and Jan Grinnell at 5 Ojo Inn is truly a blast from the past. While slight variations of this cookie abound, they are always rich and decadent as the name implies.
However, the story that surrounds this chocolate chip cookie seems to be false. The is an urban legand of sorts that a woman was charged $250 when she asked for the cookie recipe at the Nieman Marcus Store in Dallas. The original recipe is on the website, free of charge,
Here is Jan and Richard’s recipe for this infamously delicious cookie.
Neiman Marcus Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups Swans Down Cake flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal; blend to fine powder
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz Hershey bar; grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter and both sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix together flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda.
- Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts.
- Roll into balls and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes at 375°F degrees.