Entrepreneurs + Mentors = Success: 22 Convincing Stories is the title of Barnett C. Helzberg Jr.'s book. A book that profiles 22 entrepreneurs who grew their companies with the help of mentors.
Helzberg is the former chairman of the board of Helzberg Diamonds and founder of the Helzberg Entrepreneurial Mentoring Program (HEMP).
- He wrote the book to spread the word about mentoring and how these types of relationships can promote, grow and even save businesses.
Proceeds from the book benefit HEMP.
HEMP was founded in 1995 by Helzberg. Inspired by his twenty-three year mentoring relationship with Ewing Kauffman, HEMP matches seasoned, successful entrepreneur mentors with less-experienced entrepreneur mentees. Considerable mentoring is also fostered through peer-to-peer relationships derived from involvement through HEMP.
Components of the program include:
- a one-on-one mentoring relationship
- networking opportunities with peers and veteran business owners
- exposure to mentoring skills that can be applied to any professional or personal situation
- businesses discussing greatest successes and lessons learned from peers and top CEOs in the community
- field trips to locations of entrepreneurial interest within the Kansas City area