The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi are rolling on with the Russian Federation out in the lead in the medal standings, but the Netherlands and United States are hot on their heels. As of Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014, the action has gotten really good, but there have been a number of bad injuries as well. Catching the action in all its glory are some of the images from day eight.
Some of the best action was held on day eight, and there is still so much more to come. The slideshow attached to this article shows 20 of the best images from the eighth day of events from the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, and they truly capture the intensity, excitement, and even disappointment.
Here are just some of the great moments you'll see in the slideshow:
- The United States' thrilling 3-2 shootout victory over Russia in hockey
- Austria's Anna Fenninger winning gold in the women's Super G dowhill
- American Sadie Bjornsen decked out in patriotic facepaint as she competes
- Finland competitors celebrating their silver medal accomplishment
- Curling right in the middle of the action for both men and women
- Speedskating caught with a high-speed camera during the men's 1000m event
- Ski jumpers soaring through the air en route to the quickly approaching ground
There is so much more and pictures can only capture so much.
Be sure to check back with the National Sports Examiner for lots of Olympic coverage, and every single night for a full medal count for all countries.