NFL fans are wondering if a snowstorm will force a Super Bowl 2014 date change, making this a top Google search days before the big game between the Broncos and the Seahawks.
SuperBowl XLVIII will be held as scheduled at the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey on Feb. 2, 2014, but bad weather may force the NFL to change the date of the game.
What's the latest weather report for Super Bowl Sunday?
For now, it looks like "game on" for Sunday, although fans who attend the game will have to bundle up if they think 40 degrees is cold. For those who live in the Northeast, it's going to feel like a heatwave after several weeks of snow and temps in the single digits.
WeatherUnderground.com reports that it should hover around 40 degrees in Rutherford, NJ at kickoff time on Sunday, with a 10 percent chance of precipitation.
Skies will be overcast and the winds will be in the range of nine miles per hours, so not too bad for Broncos and Seahawks fans who will be bundled up in the stands.
The NFL knows that not everyone who heads to the game will be dressed for the cold weather. When ticket holders show up at at MetLife Stadium they will be given free ear muffs, tissues, hand warmers and a scarf, along with some other Super Bowl XLVIII goodies.
As far as that "wintry mix" that was expected for game day, it's likely that won't happen. However, a little mix of snow and rain may take place on Saturday into Saturday night, the day before the big game.
This will be the first time a Super Bowl has been scheduled to be played outdoors in a cold weather environment. If the forecast changes suddenly and there is extreme cold or a massive snowstorm, the NFL has contingency plans in place for an alternate game date.
The alternate date for the big game would be between Friday, January 31 and Monday, February 3, 2014. However, it would take a big storm or sub-zero temperatures to force a Super Bowl date change.
More Super Bowl Commercials
- 2014 Budweiser Super Bowl ‘Puppy Love’ ad tugs at your heartstrings
- Bruno Mars featured in Hyundai Genesis Super Bowl commercial
- 2014 Super Bowl ‘Finger Cleaner’ ad too provocative to air on FOX TV
- 2014 Volkswagen Super Bowl Commercial: “Wings”
More Game Day Posts:
- Best 2014 Super Bowl Sunday pizza deals: Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, more
- 2014 Super Bowl start time: Watch Broncos vs Seahawks live online & FOX TV
Super Bowl Party Recipes
- Five Super Bowl Party Chicken Wings Recipes: Hot, Spicy & Mild
- Most popular Super Bowl party dip recipes for game day
- Best Super Bowl desserts: Death by Chocolate, Snickers Brownies, S'mores Bars
- Hot and Spicy Buffalo Shrimp Appetizer
- Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Dip
- Meatless Mini 7-Layer Mexican Dip Appetizers
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls with Blue Cheese Dip
- Bonefish Grill’s Spicy Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- Better than take-out: Buffalo chicken pizza