The Municipal Theater or ‘The Muny,’ is St. Louis’s largest outdoor theater. It was a temporary setting in 1916 that became a more permanent structure in 1917. It still stands on the same site today and draws tens of thousands of theater-goers every summer. A visit to St. Louis’s Forest Park isn’t complete without taking in a show at The Muny. Here is the schedule for the summer 2014 season.
- Billy Elliot The Musical – June 16 – 22 – Features music by Elton John and is based on the film “Billy Elliot.” The story follows a motherless, young lad who discovers his natural gift for dance while his father and brother, unemployed by a mining strike, try to figure out how to help him.
- Tarzan - June 25-July 2 - Features music by Phil Collins including “You’ll Be In My Heart.” Based on the Disney movie of the same name and follows an orphaned infant boy raised by a tribe of apes. All is well until his worlds collide when humans arrive on the scene. Will he choose life with his ‘family’ or a ‘civilized’ life with Jane, the girl of his dreams?
- The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess - July 7-13 – Award-winning members of the 2012 Tony Award-winning Broadway show appear in this revival of a classic. It’s the love story of Bess, a woman struggling to free herself from a scandalous past and Porgy, the only man who can help her.
- The Addams Family - July 14-20 – This is the U.S. regional premiere of the show that has been entertaining crowds around the world. And features all your favorite characters.
- Seussical: The Musical - July 22-28 – The musical is based on the beloved children’s stories by Dr. Seuss and is narrated by The Cat in the Hat. It follows the exploits of Horton the Elephant as he tries to save Who-ville.
- Grease - July 31-August 8 – Grease returns to The Muny for the first time since 2007. It is the simple love story of bad boy Danny Zuko and girl next door Sandy and features the musical numbers ‘Summer Nights’, ‘Greased Lightnin’, ‘We Go Together’ and ‘Hopelessly Devoted to You.’
- Hello,Dolly! - August 11-17 – This year celebrates the 50th anniversary of Hello, Dolly!’s Broadway opening. It is the story of a loveable matchmaker, Dolly, and her meddling ways. Lots of favorite tunes and big dance numbers make this a show not to miss.
Don’t forget to make reservations for dinner right on the grounds of The Muny at the nearby Culver Pavilion. You can enjoy an al fresco buffet that includes everything from appetizer to dessert and then take a leisurely stroll over to the theater.
Round out your trip with a backstage tour of the theater. This is only available to groups of 20 or more who purchase tickets to a single show together. It includes a tour of where the sets are built, the history of the theater and winds up on the grand stage. What a wonderful day trip this will make.
©TheresaLeschmann. All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.