After an interesting opening ceremony, the 2014 Olympics in Sochi officially kicked off on Feb. 8 with Team USA winning the first gold medal of the Winter Games on Saturday. American Sage Kotsenburg not only won the first gold medal in Sochi, but he also won the first gold for the brand new event “Slopestyle” that made its Olympic debut this year.
WOW! I just won the Olympics!! Bringing back the first Gold here to the USA! Love seeing all the support from everyone. You rule!!
To see Sage Kotsenburg’s award winning run at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, be sure to watch the video above.
So, other than Kotsenburg’s gold medal win, Team USA also earned a bronze medal. Below is the current medal count, after competition on Saturday, Feb. 8.
- Norway: 2 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze = 4
- Canada: 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze = 3
- Netherlands: 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze = 3
- USA: 1 gold and 1 bronze = 2
- Sweden: 1 silver
- Austria: 1 silver
- Czech Republic: 1 bronze
NBC has a full day planned on Sunday to cover the 2014 Olympics. Here is the TV schedule for Feb. 9.
- 10 a.m. EST: Figure Skating (Team Men’s and Ladies’ Freeskate, Free Dance) – NBCSN
- 9:30 a.m. EST: Figure Skating – Team, Short Dance – NBC Sports Network
- 1 p.m. EST: Figure Skating – Team, Ladies’ Short Program and Pairs’ Free Skate - NBC Sports Network
- 2 p.m. EST – Ski Jumping (Men’s Normal Hill) – NBC Sports Network
- 2 p.m. EST: Figure Skating (Team Event), Biathlon (Women's 7.5km Sprint), Speed Skating (Women's 3000m), Cross-Country (Men's Skiathlon) - NBC
- 4 p.m. EST: Hockey – Sweden vs. Japan – NBC Sports Network
- 7 p.m. EST: Alpine Skiing (Men's Downhill), Snowboarding (Women's Slopestyle), Figure Skating (Team Event), Ski Jumping (Men's Normal Hill)
To view the entire TV schedule for the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on NBC, NBC Sports, USA, MSNBC, and CNBC, simply click on this NBC Olympics link and then choose the date/time.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE and you'll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest TV news.