The 2014 NFL Draft has been highly anticipated for months and months. Perhaps even longer than the mere two and a half months that the season has been officially over. On the evening of Thursday, May 8, 2014, the first round officially began on ESPN, and there were some surprises from the very beginning.
It was expected to happen and when the Houston Texans officially got on the clock on Thursday night, and it did. The Texans just got a lot stronger on defense as they drafted defensive end Jadeveon Clowney out of South Carolina.
Quarterback Johnny Manziel has spoken a lot about how teams would regret it if they passed him by. Well, he wasn't even the first quarterback taken as the Jacksonville Jaguars took Blake Bortles out of UCF with the third overall pick.
Some thought he may go to the Cleveland Browns with the fourth pick, but then they traded around a bit and eventually landed at number eight with theiir first selection of the night. Buffalo was up in the fourth slot at that point, and they took wide receiver Sammy Watkins out of Clemson.
Drama really started building as the Dallas Cowboys were on the clock at number 16 and Manziel was still on the board. Many wondered if Jerry Jones would backtrack on his words weeks ago of taking Manziel, and he did.
Here is a full recap of the entire first round of the 2014 NFL Draft:
- Houston Texans - DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
- St. Louis Rams - OT Greg Robinson, Auburn
- Jacksonville Jaguars - QB Blake Bortles, UCF
- Buffalo Bills - WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson
- Oakland Raiders - OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo
- Atlanta Falcons - OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
- Cleveland Browns - CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
- Minnesota Vikings - OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA
- Detroit Lions - TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina
- Tennessee Titans - OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
- New York Giants - WR Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
- St. Louis Rams - DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh
- Chicago Bears - CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
- Pittsburgh Steelers - OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State
- Dallas Cowboys - OT Zack Martin, Notre Dame
- Baltimore Ravens - ILB C.J. Mosley, Alabama
- New York Jets -S Calvin Pryor, Louisville
- Miami Dolphins - OT Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee
- New Orleans Saints - WR Brandon Cooks, Oregon State
- Green Bay Packers - S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama
- Cleveland Browns - QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
- Kansas City Chiefs - DE Dee Ford, Auburn
- Cincinnati Bengals - CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
- San Diego Chargers - CB Jason Verrett, TCU
- Philadelphia Eagles - DE Marcus Smith, Louisville
- Arizona Cardinals - S Deone Bucannon, Washington State
- Carolina Panthers - WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
- New England Patriots - DE Dominique Easley, Florida
- San Francisco 49ers - S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
- Denver Broncos - CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State
- Minnesota Vikings - QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville