The 2014 National Garden Festival runs throughout the Buffalo-Niagara region through Saturday, August 2nd – six weeks of gardening fun, sales, garden walks, tours and more. Here are a few things to check out during the second weekend of the fifth annual festival.
· Parkside Community Association’s Garden Tour and Architectural Walk – Sunday, June 29th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Parkside neighborhood of Buffalo. Pick up garden tour booklets ($8) at Church of the Good Shepherd, 96 Jewett Pkwy. and take an optional narrated walking architecture and history tour ($10) at noon or 2 p.m. Find out more at parksidebuffalo.org.
· Buffalo-Style Garden Art Sale – Sunday, June 29th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Delaware Park Lodge (in the footprint of the Parkside Garden Tour). Featuring items to put in and around your garden as well as experts from area plant societies and music from Concrete Peach from noon to 3 p.m. Find a list of participating vendors here.
· GObike City Garden Tour by Bicycle – Sunday, June 29th from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Take a relaxed tour of some of South Buffalo’s most beautiful gardens. Cost is $30 ($25 for GObike members) and includes a box lunch – reservations can be made at 716-218-7161 or at gobikebuffalo.org.
· Herbal Tussie Mussie – Sunday, June 29th at 8:30 a.m. at the Darwin Martin Complex, 125 Jewett Pkwy. in Buffalo. Listen to Martin House Horticulturalist Nellie Gardener explore the history of the tussie mussie while enjoying coffee, juice and bagels. Cost is $10 for Martin House members, $15 for non-members – find out more and register at www.darwinmartinhouse.org.
· Open gardens – Thursday, July 3rd at various gardens throughout the Buffalo-Niagara area – find the list here.
Find out more about the National Garden Festival at nationalgardenfestival.com.
Check out all of Paula’s Buffalo Examiner columns:
Follow Paula on:
· Facebook – Paula Thompson Freelance
· Twitter - @paulat14
· Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
· Flickr – PaulaThompsonFreelance
Contact Paula at email@example.com