The 2014 National Garden Festival runs throughout the Buffalo-Niagara region from Saturday, June 21st through Saturday, August 2nd – six weeks of gardening fun, sales, garden walks, tours and more. Here are a few things to check out this weekend, the opening weekend of the fifth annual festival.
· Lewiston GardenFest – Saturday and Sunday, June 21st and 22nd from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days. Hospitality booths will be set up at 411 and 493 Center St. in Lewiston – the tour is free and self-guided. All along Center St., you’ll find booths with area nurseries, landscapers and garden and outdoor suppliers, plus guest speakers and Master Gardeners.
· Fairy Garden Festival – Saturday and Sunday, June 21st and 22nd at Menne Nursery, 3100 Niagara Falls Blvd. in Amherst. The event offers creative opportunities and learning opportunities for all ages, with guest appearances by Cinderella and her Fairy Godmother, workshops and more.
· Perennials Day at Lockwood’s – Saturday, June 21st at Lockwood’s Greenhouses and Nursery, 4484 Clark St. in Hamburg. Three speakers – Sally Cunningham, Rochelle Smith and Fred Safford – discuss perennials, shrubs, hydrangeas and more. Tickets for all three seminars plus lunch are $38; individual seminar tickets are $10 each – call 716-649-4684 for more information.
· Hosta Show at the Botanical Gardens – Sunday, June 22nd from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens, 2655 South Park Ave. in Buffalo. This unique show features hundreds of hosta leaves on display, grouped by size and color and judged for awards. There will also be a number of potted hostas on display to show the great diversity of this plant. Admission is $9 for adults, $8 for seniors (55+) and students (13+ with ID), $5 for kids 3 to 12, and free for members and kids 2 and under.
· The Buzz in Your Garden I – Wednesday, June 25th at 6 p.m. at Urban Roots, 482 Rhode Island St. in Buffalo. Wayne Robins and David Clark present this workshop on the importance of bees for your garden – for more information, call 716-362-8982.
Find out more about the National Garden Festival at nationalgardenfestival.com.
Check out all of Paula’s Buffalo Examiner columns:
Follow Paula on:
· Facebook – Paula Thompson Freelance
· Twitter - @paulat14
· Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
· Flickr – PaulaThompsonFreelance
Contact Paula at firstname.lastname@example.org