The 2013 Lake Superior Dragon Boat Festival took place August 23-24 at Barker's Island in Superior, Wisconsin. If you just said to yourself, "oh darn, I missed it", now is the time to start planning for 2014! Here are some tips:
- The only hotel on the island, Barker's Island Inn, fills up fast and it is highly desirable to stay here. First, you're going to be able to drive on the island, otherwise you will be taking a shuttle from the Mariner Mall and doing some walking. Second, you can return to your room mid-day for a rest after all the walking! Third, load up a cooler with cold beverages and park close to the craft booths. There is a nice grassy hill with shade and a breeze where you can also take a rest and enjoy the people watching. It's very close to the Pride Paddler area with their wonderfully fun and colorful participants, and also the Canadian team Women on Fire (who were very obviously absent this year). After the festivities on Saturday, Barker's Island Inn has a live band outside by the marina where you can dance the night away under the stars!
- Bring a lawn chair, or plan to sit in the grass.
- There is plenty of entertainment to suit everyone! Check the website to see what is going on each day.
- Food and drink is plentiful, and quite good!
- If you bring children, don't forget their swimsuits. There is a small beach area where they can play in the water.
- Many people bring their dogs, though I believe the festival organizers discourage this practice. The dogs don't seem to enjoy it as much as the humans, so it's best if they are left at home.
- Don't forget the sunscreen and sunglasses!
- The official Dragon Boat Festival t-shirts and sweatshirts always have amazing designs. Plan to purchase one!
This is a festival that is great fun, in a beautiful location, and raises an impressive amount of money for the local charities. Hope to see you in 2014!