In the statement, Ritzenhein said that injuries have prevented him from properly preparing for the race, which is set to take place on April 21.
“I am very disappointed to withdraw from this year's Boston Marathon,” Ritzenhein said in the press release. "A groin injury this winter has kept me from doing the training it takes to run with the best in the world. April 21st will be a show of strength and community after last year's events and I wanted so badly to be part of that. But I am resilient and will be back.”
Hall, who owns the fastest American marathon time in history, said he’s excited to join the elite field in what he expects to be a historic race.
“I am incredibly excited to participate in this year’s Boston Marathon,” Hall said in the press release. “After watching the tragic events that unfolded at last year’s race and knowing the resilience of both the running and Boston communities, I knew this year’s race was going to be a run of redemption that I am eager to be a part of. This year’s race will undoubtedly be the most historically significant marathon in Boston's storied history.”
See the full press release, including comments from Abdirahman and Jeffrey Hunt, who also dropped out of the 2014 race, on the Boston Athletic Association website.