According to a Feb. 8 report from MMA Junkie, UFC bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey (9-0) earned the nod over four tough challengers for the Female Fighter of the Year honor at the 2013 World MMA Awards held this weekend during a ceremony at Venetian and Palazzo Resort, Hotel and Casinos in Las Vegas, Nev.
Rousey, 27, beat out Invicta FC strawweight Joanne Calderwood, UFC bantamweight Alexis Davis, UFC star Jessica Eye and Legacy fighter Holly Holm, for the award.
It shouldn't come as much of a surprise, being that Rousey went 2-0 in the UFC this year, including two title defenses against elite opponents.
One of the other top award-winners was Travis Browne, a standout UFC heavyweight who went 3-0 in 2013.
Browne picked up awards for Breakthrough Fighter of the Year and Comeback of the Year.
The top honor of the night went to Chris Weidman, who earned the Charles “Mask” Lewis Fighter of the Year award.
Earlier in the event, Royce Gracie was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award and Alexander Gustafsson earned the nod for International Fighter of the Year.
One of the most controversial award-winners was Urijah Faber earning Submission of the Year for his win over Ivan Menjivar at UFC 157.
Many fight fans thought Rose Namajunas should have taken home the award, due to her submission of Kathina Catron at Invicta FC 5.
Jon Jones' epic battle against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 earned Fight of the Year, and Vitor Belfort took home the award for Knockout of the Year with his win over Luke Rockhold at UFC on FX 8.
Here's a full list of the award-winners for the 2013 World MMA Awards:
- Chris Weidman - Charles “Mask” Lewis Fighter of the Year
- Ronda Rousey - Female Fighter of the Year
- Travis Browne - Breakthrough Fighter of the Year
- Alexander Gustafsson - International Fighter of the Year
- Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson (UFC 165) - Fight of the Year
- Vitor Belfort (vs. Luke Rockhold, UFC on FX 8) - Knockout of the Year
- Urijah Faber (vs. Ivan Menjivar, UFC 157) - Submission of the Year
- Travis Browne (vs. Alistair Overeem, UFC Fight Night 26) - Comeback of the Year
- Duane Ludwig - Shawn Tompkins Coach of the Year
- Team Alpha Male - Gym of the Year
- Mike Dolce - Trainer of the Year
- Herb Dean - Referee of the Year
- Brittney Palmer - Ringcard Girl of the Year
- Dana White - Leading Man
- Chael Sonnen - Personality of the Year
- UFC - Best Promotion
- Bad Boy - Best Lifestyle Clothing
- Venum - Best Technical Clothing
- Bad Boy - Best Technical Equipment
- MMA Fighting - Media Source of the Year
- Ariel Helwani - Journalist of the Year