Slated for October 17, 2013 from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m., Wine Festival at 5 Rivers is the largest annual fundraiser for The Service Center of Catholic Social Services of Mobile, Alabama. While wine is certainly a focal part of the event, this popular event is much more than a typical wine tasting.
Wine Festival at 5 Rivers attendees will have an opportunity to sample a wide variety of wine and food donated by local restaurants, caterers and wine distributors against the backdrop of Spanish Fort’s stunning 5 Rivers Delta Resource Center , where they can also enjoy live music and sunset cruises on the Delta.
Guests will be able to sample a wide variety of delicious dishes provided from several of the most popular (and most civic-minded!) local restaurants and catering companies. For example, BIGHEAD Barbeque and Naman’s Catering will be serving tasty delights. Sweet treats will include selections from Gigi's Cupcakes and Cammie's Old Dutch Ice Cream Shop. Serda's will provide coffee.
These are just a few examples of the many food vendors that will be on hand, and you can be sure that everything will be delightful. A highlight of the evening is always the People’s Choice awards, which allow attendees to vote to recognize the best overall caterer or restaurant with the “Best of the Fest” award and to single out the very best dish with the “Taste of the Bay” designation. I can put last year’s winners here if you want - just let me know who/what they were.
Wines are provided by Red or White and Domke Market through a variety of local distributors, including:
- A & G Beverages
- Alabama Crown
- BMW of Mobile
- International Wines
- M&J Wines
- Pinnacle Imports
- Rush Wines
- United Johnson Brothers
Popular local entertainer Phil Proctor will provide live musical entertainment throughout the event, with the Suburban Jazz Quartet. Proctor has been a favorite at the event in the past, and he will be joined by the Suburban Jazz Quartet this year for the first time.
- Proctor: Hailed as one of Mobile, Alabama's favorite singers and guitarists, Proctor sings and plays an American mixture of bluegrass, folk, vintage country, and a little bit of everything else. His songs encompass the everyday experiences that we all have: the trials and tribulations, up and downs, and highs and lows of life, love, and loss.
- Suburban Jazz Quartet: The Suburban Jazz Quartet plays cool sounds from Suburbia and features area musicians Sean Worrell (keys), Jojo Morris (bass), Jimmy Roebuck (drums), and Phil Proctor (guitar). The SJQ plays jazz standards from Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Herbie Hancock and many others as well as show tunes, ballads, and more.
Supporting The Service Center
Now in its seventh year, all proceeds from Wine Festival at 5 Rivers annual event go directly to support the charitable works of The Service Center of Catholic Social Services of Mobile, a United Way Agency.
Critical Community Support
Michelle Ritter, event chair for Wine Festival at 5 Rivers and member of the Board of Advisors of Catholic Social Services, states, "It is the goal of The Service Center to provide limited assistance in times of crisis. We often find ourselves assisting families and individuals that have never needed assistance before."
The Service Center provides a numerous critical services throughout the area. Examples include:
- Limited assistance to individuals in Mobile County in times of crisis, such as food, clothing, household items, personal hygiene items, and financial assistance for medicine, utilities and transportation
- Access to a healthcare case worker to provide support, health education, and referrals to agencies and organizations that may be able to provide additional assistance
Learn more at ServiceCenterCSS.org.
The Service Center is preparing for a move to the new location of Catholic Social Services, which will be at 188 Florida Street, where Greer’s Supermarket operated for many years. Ritter explains, “We are currently in a fund-raising campaign to prepare the location on Florida Street to move all of the Catholic Social Services ministries under one roof.” Learn more at www.legacyforthefuture.org.
Wine Festival Sponsors
Thanks to the generous support of corporate sponsors, as well as donations from food vendors and wine distributors, every dollar from ticket sales can be earmarked for The Service Center’s charitable works. Ritter states, "We're very grateful for the participation of the business community in assisting us in raising these funds." This year’s sponsors include:
- BMW of Mobile
- Calagaz Printing
- Catranis Enterprises, LLC.
- Dennis Langan Construction
- e-worc web & new media
- Hydro Technologies, Inc.
- Johnstone Adams, LLC
- Lewis Engineering & Assoc.
- Providence Hospital
- R. Benjamin Coale/Morgan Stanley
- T. Batchelor & Son, Inc.
- McKinney Petroleum Equipment Company
- Thomas Harrison & Assoc.
The popular event sold out last year, raising X dollars, all of which was put back into the community through the work of The Service Center. All-inclusive tickets are currently on sale and are $50; only 400 tickets will be sold. Tickets may be purchased online via WineAt5Rivers.com (additional $2 handling) or at Red or White in Mobile and Fairhope, Domke Market in West Mobile and Southern Napa in Daphne. For information, call (251) 434-1550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.