Black Friday has come and gone, cyber Monday has too. Have the bargains all gone away? Absolutely not. It is now time to park your car until December 26th and feast your eyes on the “wonderment” that is holiday shopping. You can do this best, by getting out of bed and shopping in your best pajamas by going to sites that can offer the best discounts through this holiday season. Starting with a few tips then some great known and not so known websites you will be able to score big for those on your “nice” list. Then it will be time to take a look at some great gifts and gadgets for the tech inclined, and all under $250.00.
First of all, let’s look at some of the best sites for getting your favorite gifts at the best prices.
General Retailers and eTailers
- www.walmart.com; If it cannot be found here, it may very well be unavailable. Case and point; my wife wanted a Nook for Christmas. Well Barnes and Noble (both in store and dot com) were out of the model. On a whim, I checked www.walmart.com and low and behold, they had it. They even matched the sales price.
- www.amazon.com; They are not one of the largest e-tailers in the world for nothing. They have hoards of inventory and other sellers that can get you the gifts you want, no matter how hard the recipient is to buy for.
Electronics Retailers and eTailers
- www.bestbuy.com; Whether in store or online, this is a premier site for all that is gadgety, all that computes, and all that is electronic.
- www.microcenter.com; This, aside from my synagogue, is my house of G-d, and its flyer is my bible. They have almost any conceivable product from the mainstream to the obscure, and everything in between. They have a full array of DIY parts, cases and housings as well.
- www.newegg.com; is a discount house that has steep discounts on many new and prior generation products.
- www.adorama.com; is a major eTailer of photography products, supplies, etc. They are also a great resource for laptops, tablets and more
- www.butterflyphoto.com; Thus far, this has the best prices around (my opinion) on photography equipment. There are also steals and deals on a wide range of products.
Now that you have seen where to go, let’s take a look at what made the top 10 list for this holiday season. Whether you are buying for your mom or dad, husband or wife, son or daughter, etc., these will satisfy them without breaking your bank roll. (in no particular order)
- For the well groomed man in your life, get him the dynamic duo out of Philips Norelco; the Philips Norelco MultiGroom QG3380 system and the Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D: 1290X/40 razor. They will keep him clean cut, groomed and otherwise looking what you consider to be his best.
- The EyeFi Pro X2 WiFi SD card for compatible cameras allows you to seamlessly upload all your photos directly from your camera.
- The Logitech TK820 Wireless Keyboard is something I have dubbed; Windows new BFF. It takes full advantage of the touch gestures and is small and compact.
- The Pentax Q7 is the smallest interchangeable lens camera on the market today. Imagine having the full power of a DSLR in the palm of your hand. Well your wish came true. In testing, it beat out the Nikon D600
- The Magellan eXplorist 350H, is a hunter/gatherers dream GPS. It will mark nesting/feeding sites of your prey and get you back to within feet of your truck, SUV or 4 wheeler.
- The NYNE NB200 Bluetooth Speaker is one that will blow the competition away with its great sounds and even better price.
- Rabbit TV allows you to watch virtually any show, any movie, both old and new, via your USB port. Its low $10 cost provides a year of viewing pleasure.
- An all-natural wooden watch by Wewood and Tense will please any conservationist on your list.
- The Jabra Sport + Wireless Headset is a go anywhere and lifeproof headset that will satisfy the most stringent audiophile.
- The Dropcam Pro is your professional watchful eye to your world.
The honorable mention goes to the Nix x12C digital picture frame. In the digital world, digital photo frames are the equivalent of socks. There are many out there that pretty much offer the same features. There is one standout however; NIX Digital.
NIX Digital, a company that has been around since 2007, and specializes in one thing; Digital picture frames. They have done one thing to digital picture frames that no one has advertised; motion detection.
NIX claims that by their shutting down the frame when there is no activity in the room, it saves on electricity as well as the life of the frame itself. They do this with motion sensing technology.
Another unique feature of this picture frame is the size. It is a 12” hi res screen that is capable of displaying the most colorful reds, pinks and blues as well as fine details as the ring around a Mallard ducks neck.
It comes with a 4gig USB flash drive that can easily transfer your photos from your pc/mac to the frame itself.
And there you have it. The 2013 top ten list of what to get without breaking the bank. None of the preceding products are over $250 and will easily please those on your list.