Brian Vickers, who won the Nationwide Series championship in his last full-time season in the series, will try to go two-for-two when he returns to the series as the second full-time driver for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2013. Vickers will drive the No. 20 Dollar General Toyota Camry for JGR, while also competing part-time for fellow Toyota team Michael Waltrip Racing in the Sprint Cup Series.
Vickers, who began competing in the Cup Series in 2003 – the same year he won his Nationwide Series title – first raced in the Nationwide Series in 2001 as a 17-year-old, and since 2001 has earned three wins and 60 top 10 finishes in 118 races, along with four poles. In the Cup Series, Vickers has raced for Hendrick Motorsports, Red Bull Racing and MWR, earning two wins and 62 top 10 finishes in 263 races, plus 11 poles, including six in 2009 alone. He’ll join another Cup Series veteran, Elliott Sadler, as JGR’s full-time one-two punch in the Nationwide Series, where JGR earned nine wins with Joey Logano in 2012.
Brian Vickers statistics:
- Best Nationwide Series tracks (average finishes) – Dover International Raceway (6.2 in five races), New Hampshire Motor Speedway (8.0 in two races), Michigan International Speedway (9.0 in five races)
- Worst Nationwide Series tracks (average finishes) – Kansas Speedway (23.2 in five races), Homestead-Miami Speedway (20.2 in four races), Watkins Glen International (20.0 in two races)
- Most wins in Nationwide Series – one each at Darlington Raceway, Dover International Raceway and Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis
Get ready for the 2013 season with JGR at joegibbsracing.com.
Check out Paula’s Examiner columns on motorsports:
Follow Paula on:
- Facebook – Paula Thompson Freelance and Examiner.com Motorsports
- Twitter - @paulat14
- Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
- Flickr – Paula Thompson Freelance
Contact Paula at firstname.lastname@example.org