Happy New Year 2013!
Resolve to travel more during this coming year. For those who love to travel, it is well-known the power travel has to be a life changer.
Here are some simple steps to help one carry out those travel resolutions:
• Vacation somewhere completely new - Resolve to travel and get to know the world. Exercise one’s curiosity and interest in the world, these days no place is too far away. Remove distractions, preconceived notions, judgments; and instead take in every detail that makes a destination wondrous and different from everyday life. Simply stated, immerse one-self.
• Don’t be afraid of adventure - On every trip, try a new activity. Doing something for the first time; mastering a new challenge, makes a trip vividly memorable and leaves one with a sense of accomplishment that lingers long after arriving back home.
• Learn the local language –Take a language course at a local adult education center, or language institute. At minimum, learn to say the basics, please, thank you, it is nice to meet you, as a gesture of respect. Friendliness and warmth transcend languages and cultures, travel expecting the best and that is what will be received.
• Set up a travel fund - Save for travel as a personal investment, the perceived sacrifice necessary to put travel money aside will never disappoint. Travel builds character, knowledge, and educates. Go out and see the world, it is simply amazing. Simply stated, it is worth every penny.
• Explore More – Use the weekends to explore places close to home. It is surprising the cool things overlooked in the day-to-day. Allow these short vacations to make one a better explorer. Don’t save all that wanderlust for one big trip, use it regularly.
• Vow not to leave vacation time on the table - taking vacations—real vacations—is an important part of living a healthy and balanced life. Travelers come back from vacations feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
Decide where to go. Take that bucket list trip. Volunteer abroad. Visit at least two new countries.
No matter the destination, these are resolutions are designed to encourage individuals to experience all that travel has to offer, to take advantage of every situation and be more than just an average tourist.
The challenge for 2013 isn't to just travel more, it's to travel better.