The Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce (GGCC) will continue its tradition of taking an active role in advocating and responding to issues of importance to the economic health of our community to create a more business friendly environment for Montgomery County and the State of Maryland.
In 2013, GGCC will continue to support efforts that encourage new business development, as well as the retention and growth of existing businesses. Our economic development efforts hinge upon addressing the transportation infrastructure needs within the County. To that end, our key priorities are as follows:
• Road Priority – Full Watkins Mill Interchange
• Transit Priority – Corridor Cities Transitway
• Support an increase in the gas tax to fund transportation priorities
• Support a mandate to prohibit the transfer of funds from the State Transportation Trust Fund to the State General Fund
ECONOMIC AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
• Job Growth in Gaithersburg, Germantown, and surrounding jurisdictions – The GGCC will support implementation of both the Germantown Master Plan and the Great Seneca Science Corridor Master Plan. This includes supporting necessary local transportation and school CIP improvements.
• Workforce Development – The GGCC will support efforts to maintain and enhance the pipeline of highly trained, skilled workers in Montgomery County by supporting K-12 education and post-secondary education facilities in the County.
• Montgomery College-Montgomery College’s Expansion. The GGCC will continue to support the College in its’ efforts to secure construction funding for campus facilities including the design and ultimate construction of the Germantown Applied Sciences Building Renovation and Addition , completion funds for the Bioscience Education Center, as well as the infrastructure funding for the Life Sciences Park.
• Support Montgomery College’s Operating Budget. The GGCC supports the long-term maintenance of the Cade funding formula for community colleges in Maryland.
• Support college’s efforts in creating workforce development programs specifically for Lifesciences and Cybersecurity companies.
• Shady Grove Metro Master Plan Development - To realize the full vision for a transit-oriented mixed residential/commercial hub, the GGCC supports relocation of County services from the Shady Grove metro area.
• Business Climate – The GGCC will advocate for a business friendly environment in the City, County and State. We will actively advocate for business friendly legislation and actively oppose anti-business legislation.
• Zoning – The GGCC will monitor the zoning ordinance rewrite process and respond to the draft sections as they are released for public review.
• Incentives – The GGCC supports the continuation of the City of Gaithersburg’s Tool Box Incentive program, as well as other State and County incentive programs and would encourage increased incentives in the Upcounty.
INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS - The GGCC will advocate for improved infrastructure to service current needs and to promote further economic growth in our area. The GGCC supports the following:
• The Full Watkins Mill Interchange
• The Corridor Cities Transitway (CCT)
• I-270 Capacity Expansion. GGCC supports additional capacity using HOT lanes.
• Support and explore alternative funding sources for transportation projects in our region.
• Continue to monitor the progress of M-83.
• Address the inter-jurisdictional movement in the region, including Frederick County and Virginia.
• MARC Commuter Service, as well as adequate parking facilities for MARC
• Support County-wide Rapid-Transit system assuming that funding is not diverted from existing transportation priorities.
• In support of one of the County’s growing industries, the GGCC will support initiatives aimed at significantly accelerating adoption of internet broadband access by customers, businesses, schools, and government enterprises.
STATE BUDGET - The GGCC supports a fiscally responsible State operating budget that creates a favorable business climate in Maryland. The GGCC will advocate against Mandatory Combined Reporting, as well as the expansion of sales tax on business and professional service.
The GGCC supports an increase in the gas tax to help fund the Transportation Trust Fund. The GGCC also recommends that the gas tax be indexed to inflation based on the Construction Cost Index (CCI) while mandating that the Transportation Trust Fund be dedicated solely to transportation funding.
• Access – Support the construction and operation of the area health care providers including the Germantown Holy Cross Hospital and the expansion of the Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.
• Reform – The GGCC will monitor the implementation and review of The Health Reform Act and accompanying Reconciliation Act to educate our members on the financial implications of this legislation on the state, businesses, healthcare providers and physicians.
The GGCC is active in providing business-to-business networking opportunities throughout the year: a collective voice in local, regional, and state legislative affairs, professional development opportunities and other services that enhance the business environment.
The GGCC is located at 910 Clopper Road, Suite 205N, Gaithersburg, MD. To learn more about the GGCC visit us at www.ggchamber.org.
Find us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gaithersburg-Germantown-Chamber-of-Commerce/64339954570.