Devoted Black Friday shoppers are going to have to check and re-check their schedules this year, as so many national chains are breaking with tradition and opening for full or partial hours on Thanksgiving Day.
If you're trying to decide whether to shop Thanksgiving night, Black Friday morning, Black Friday day, or sometime in between, here's your list of which stores are open when on November 28 & 29, 2013.
This list will be updated regularly as new stores announce or leak their ad scans, so check back often!
Stores open on Thanksgiving Day 2013
- CVS -- Traditionally open regular hours on Thanksgiving, and the Black Friday freebies are usually also available beginning that day. Pharmacies may be closed for some of the day, however.
- Walgreens -- Like CVS, usually open throughout the day on Thanksgiving, although pharmacies may have reduced times. Black Friday freebies and deals go live at 12:01 am on Thanksgiving.
- Walmart -- most stores stay open on Thanksgiving for last-minute shopping needs, although we haven't yet heard what time the Black Friday doorbusters will go live for 2013.
- Kmart -- all stores open 6am on Thanksgiving, and stay open straight through close of business at 11pm on Black Friday. The chain is bragging they will have 41 straight hours of deals for bargain hunting holiday shoppers.
- Toys R Us -- open by 5pm on Thanksgiving, with some 'Black Friday' doorbusters only being offered until 9pm Thanksgiving night. To add to the date & time confusion, Rewards members can shop select Black Friday deals as early as Wednesday, November 27. See the leaked ad scan here.
- Belk -- all stores open by 8pm on Thursday, November 28. See the leaked ad scan here.
- Kohl's -- all stores open by 8pm on Thanksgiving night.
- JCPenney -- all stores open by 8pm on Thanksgiving night, although the annual freebie giveaway doesn't go live until 4am.
- Macy's -- all stores open by 8pm on Thanksgiving night, although the leaked Macy's Black Friday ad also has coupons good on Saturday, November 30 as well.
- Office Max -- opening by 8pm on Thanksgiving night.
- Sears -- all stores open by 8pm on Thanksgiving night.
- Starbucks -- Historically, non-mall stores are open all or partial hours on Thanksgiving Day, then close for a few hours before they start brewing coffee for caffeine-deprived shoppers on Black Friday. Look for some stores to stay open around the clock, though, especially if they're in open-air shopping centers.
So who's actually bucking the trend and not opening until Friday morning?
So far, Best Buy, Gamestop, Radio Shack, the AAFES stores on military bases, and Half Price Books are committing to a Black Friday start, with openings as early as midnight (Best Buy and Gamestop) and as late as 7am (Half Price Books.)
Target hasn't yet announced either way, but most watchers suspect they will open around 9pm Thanksgiving night.
PetSmart has just come out with a start time of 7am on Friday morning (with an awesome freebie for the first 100 customers per store!)