The 2nd Annual Banana Festival is now accepting applications for the Amateur Recipe Contest held during the festival on Saturday, September 28, 2013 in Port of Hueneme. The contest is presented by Oxnard Harbor District in partnership with the kitchen eatery in Oxnard. A maximum of 20 entries per category will be accepted (pre-registration and registration fee is required) which include “Best Banana Bread”, “Best Pie or Cake”, and “Banana Other” to encourage creativity. Prize includes a “Best of…” trophy and $30 restaurant gift certificate. Visit their website for more details on the contest and download the Official Entry Form. But hurry! The deadline is Monday, September 23, 2013! Winners will be announced around 1:30pm on Saturday, September 28 during the festival.
The Amateur Recipe Contest is one of the many events taking place. The free festival included musical entertainment, waterside tours of the Port, displays, arts & crafts marketplace, auto pavilion, and Kids Zone in addition to all types of banana food creations.
- There will be a number of food vendors with a variety of tasty dishes like authentic tacos, savory barbeque, and Thai noodles. Local restaurants will offer special banana treats like banana splits and chocolate-dipped bananas. You can also wet your whistle with ice cold local brews, soft drinks, and creamy banana smoothies.
- Hot local bands will entertain on the main stage with music to suit all tastes – Colin Gilmore (Americana/Country), Hard-Times Band (Blues, Country, Americana & Rock), Acadiana (Cajun/Zedeco), and Myst (Rock En Espanol)
- At the Port Pavilion, learn about the Port’s daily operations, interworkings, and how the port works for the community and import/export transported globally.
- At the Auto Pavilion, view the latest car models and trends in alternative initiatives.
- See the port from the sea as the Bluefin boat of Hook’s Landing, located in the Channel Island Harbor, sails around the port and the Naval Base. Photo ID will be required and minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- The Kid’s Zone will give your children endless fun with banana crafts, inflatable fun, climbing wall, and more.
- Shop from local vendors exhibiting gourmet foods, boutique clothing, hand-crafted jewelry, garden art, harts, sunglasses, maritime treasures, and more.
Port of Hueneme is also celebrating its 75th anniversary and is a major economic engine for Ventura County. As one of California’s busiest seaports, it provides 9,400 jobs for the community from pilots who guide ships to accountants who track the freight. It is also the west coast gateway for the import/export of automobiles.
Submit your best banana recipe today and see you at the Banana Festival!
For more information:
2nd Annual Banana Festival
105 East Port Hueneme
Port of Hueneme, CA
Hours: 10am to 5pm