A liquid form of methamphetamine somehow made its way to six girls at Blocker Middle School in Texas City and landed them in the hospital.
KHOU in Texas on Friday reported that the girls had taken the drug in the school bathroom via a small amount on a piece of dissolvable stamp-sized paper that they put on their tongues.
“When they took it, they just started tripping out, they just started freaking out, like something got to them,” a student told the report.
Galveston County Sherriff Henry Trochesset explained that this type of drug can be absorbed into someone’s skin and cause them to get high. This explains why the pieces of meth-soaked paper were wrapped in tin foil when they were found in the bathroom.
Officials do not know how the girls got the meth or who is spreading the toxic chemical around the area.
"If it was my child I'd be extremely upset," Trochesset said.
Another dangerous substance known as krokodil, which melts flesh off of users, has also spread from Russia to Chicago recently.
Symptoms of krokodil were found at a hospital in Chicago this past week which include lesions and missing flesh all over the body.
One woman came in with such symptoms after using krokodil instead of her usual heroin.
"When she came in, she had the destruction that occurred because of this drug over about 70% of her lower body," said Dr. Abhin Singla from Provena St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Joliet, Illinois said in an interview with CBS2 in Chicago.