Cinephiles everywhere have been waiting for this moment, the announcement of the 2011 Academy (of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences) Award Nominees, the leading film award ceremony in the industry, known affectionately as the Oscars. This year’s 83rdceremony will take place on Sunday February 27th at 8pm EST. The ceremony will be co-hosted by Natalie Portman and James Franco, both in the running for top awards.
This morning, Academy President Tom Sherak, joined by Academy Award winner Mo’Nique (2010 Best Supporting Actress in Precious, Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire) announced the following nominees:
- Black Swan
- The Fighter
- The Kids Are All Right
- The King's Speech
- 127 Hours
- The Social Network
- Toy Story 3
- True Grit
- Winter's Bone
- Javier Bardem (Biutiful)
- Jeff Bridges (True Grit) –would be 2nd consecutive year if he wins (2010 Best Actor for Crazy Heart)
- Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network)
- Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
- James Franco (127 Hours)
- Annette Benning (The Kids Are All Right)
- Nicole Kidman (Rabbit Hole)
- Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone)
- Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
- Michelle Williams (Blue Valentine)
Best Supporting Actor
- Christian Bale (The Fighter)
- John Hawkes (Winter’s Bone)
- Jeremy Renner (The Town) –nominated in 2010 for Best Actor (The Hurt Locker)
- Mark Ruffalo (The Kids Are All Right)
- Geoffrey Rush (The King’s Speech)
Best Supporting Actress
- Amy Adams (The Fighter)
- Helena Bonham Carter (The King’s Speech)
- Melissa Leo (The Fighter)
- Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit)
- Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom)
Best Animated Film
- How to Train Your Dragon
- The Illusionist
- Toy Story 3
Achievement in Directing
- Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)
- David O. Russell (The Fighter)
- Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech)
- David Fincher (The Social Network)
- Joel & Ethan Coen (True Grit)
- 127 Hours, Screenplay by Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy
- The Social Network, Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin
- Toy Story 3, Screenplay by Michael Arndt. Story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich
- True Grit, Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen –nominated in 2010 for Original Screenplay (The Serious Man)
- Winter's Bone, Adapted for the screen by Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini
- Another Year, Written by Mike Leigh
- The Fighter, Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson. Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson
- Inception, Written by Christopher Nolan
- The Kids Are All Right, Written by Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg
- The King's Speech, Screenplay by David Seidler
The complete list of all nominees can be found here.
Some surprising Oscar snubs were Mark Wahlberg for The Fighter, Ryan Gosling for Blue Valentine, Mila Kunis for Black Swan, Christopher Nolan for Inception, Julianne Moore for The Kids Are All Right, and a few others. But hey, this isn’t grade school baseball. Not everyone gets a chance to play.
Oscar Nomination Brunch at the Denver Film Center
If you are as excited as this cinephile about the 33 day countdown to Oscar bliss, you can celebrate among your film loving peers on February 5that the Oscar Nomination Liquid Brunch, hosted by the Reel Social Club at the new Denver Film Center on Colfax.
Brunch will be catered Tony's Market, with bubbly bottomless mimosas courtesy of Moët & Chandon Champagne. Attendees will watch a screening of one of the nominated Best Picture films. Think you can predict the winners? Ballots will be provided to make your predictions for a chance to win big on the night of the Academy Awards at Denver Film Society's Party with Oscar (more info to come).
Saturday, February 5, 2011
10:00AM Brunch / 12:00noon Film Screening
NEW! Follow me @cinephileamy on Twitter and click here to “like” me on Facebook.
If you would like this Examiner to attend your screening or movie event, or would like to suggest a film for viewing, please contact Amy directly at email@example.com.
To subscribe, post a comment or suggestion, hit the appropriate button.
Want to pay this Examiner a huge compliment? Forward this to your friends via email or your social network sites (Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, etc.).