Three perfect games -- including one by female bowler Jodi Suares -- represent the top performances in this week's Examiner.com report of high scores during recent league play at centers in Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte Counties.
Suares posted her 300 game at Bowland Port Charlotte, while among area men, Ken VanEpps pounded out 12 straight strikes at Bowland and Hitch Baier turned the trick at Sarasota Lanes.
Competing in the Friday Night Mixed League, where she now carries a 184 average, Suares rolled her perfecto in the middle of a 654 series, after opening with a 182 game and before finishing with 172.
VanEpps began this week's session of the Al Davis Memorial League with a 243 game before unloading with a perfect game and a 232 to complete a 160-over-average 775 series. He had rolled a previous perfect game in 2008, also at Bowland.
Baier jump-started a 162-over-average 702 series in the La Malinche Restaurant League with his perfect game, which was followed by scores of 204 and 298.
Three area players -- Jim Ulrich, Rich Corrado and Ken Fuger -- turned in 11-in-a-row performances.
Ulrich completed a 163-over-average 763 series with a 298 game in the 9 & A Wiggle League at Bowland Port Charlotte, Corrado rolled a 100-over-average 290 game in the Al Davis Memorial League, also at Bowland, and Fuger had a 108-over-average 290 game (678 series) in the La Malinche Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes.
Among other far-over-average efforts, Nick Jones blasted a 171-over 789 series on games of 277, 254 and 258 in the Friday Night Mixed League at Englewood Bowl, Rollie Block fired a 169-over 772 series that included back-to-back 267 games in Amore's Italian Restaurant League at AMF Venice, and Greg Sell had a 147-over 780 series on games of 266, 267 and 247, also in the Amore's Italian Restaurant League.
Other high scores reported from area bowling establishments included:
- TREASURE LANES: Joe DiFranco 288-728, Floyd Davidson 280-632, Mike Aleshire 279-745, Ed Burlison 279-741, John Pitzer 278, Bill Meyers 269, Ken Jones 268, Steve Wong 267, John Nickols 266, Scott Trezise 729, Mike Janosik 715, Jerry Weese 706; Renae Gross 243-633, Jennifer Peacock 235-628, Ruth Lugert 233 and 602.
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: James Hickey 279, Eric Hill 278-742 and 706, Steve Spicher 268-716, Dave Jodoin 269-758, Ray Tippins 267, Corey VerVaecke 267, John Hoppe 266, Jimmy Kuykendall 708; Jan Bucklin 235, Jackie Wortinger 231-602, Mickeal Paige 225.
- SARASOTA LANES: Phil Sutton 288-681, Dave Grether 279-747, Javier Macias 279, Robert Oden 278 and 720, Carl Sawyer III 278, Todd Kirchman 268, Marty McGiffin 267-703, Aaron Atkinson 267, David Shedrow 266-725, Danny Shaffer 266, Steven Baran 726 and 706, Richard McLaughlin 706; Shanti Schrock 264-666 and 234 and 225-617, Barb Ripley 249, Jessica Hendrickson 618.
- ENGLEWOOD BOWL: Doug Kirk 267-715, Guy Jones 265, John Stempien 728, Jesse Jones 717, Bob Lersch 711.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Neil Knopf 279, Brent Dykstra 275, Chip Wilmink 268, Bill Magruder 721, Greg Sell 716; Dolores Meyers 232, Mary Stary 227, Dottie Kirkpatrick 226-613.
- AMF GULF GATE LANES: Jesse Hawver 280, Ed VerVane 276, A.J. Sutcliffe 712, John Thompson 708.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling columns -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published].