Well-known for its thoroughbred horse racing—over 80 dachshund contestants and their owners participated in the 19th Annual Wiener Nationals race sponsored by Der Wienerschnitzel—vying to win the top prize of $2300, a trophy and bragging rights as 2014's fastest "Top Winning Wiener".
What started out simple back in 1996 has now grown to become a very popular and exciting annual event bringing in hoards of screaming dachshund lovers and enthusiasts together to celebrate these adorable little hounds and show off their unbelievable speed despite their long low to the ground bodies and short little legs.
The three hour event included some horse racing in between the dachshund trial races with a total of ten trial races, a qualifying race, a 'Head to Head Dash' between a gentle giant of a dachshund named Kobe and a sweet petite dachshund named Tootsie—with Tootsie coming out as 'Top Dawg'.
'The Championship'—the last and final race brought all ten trial winners together to see who will be the fastest wiener with 'Mr. Schnitzel' taking home the grand prize of $2300 and a crystal trophy.
"This is Mr. Schnitzel's second win", says proud parents Lois and Luis Hernandez of Newbury Park. "His last win was in 2012".
By the end of the evening all winning wieners and their owners posed for photographs with the Wienerschnitzel mascot and his helpers. Proceeds from Saturday's event went to benefit the Seal Beach Animal Shelter recognized for their no-kill policy.
List of the trial winners:
· Elle — Owner: Tamara Elenes of Cypress
· Sunny — Owner: Kelly Garcia of Anaheim
· Finn — Owner: Josh Snook of Lawndale
· Ellie — Owner: Bobby and Sherry Monje of Ventura
· Havoc — Owner: Melissa Tuchalski of Paramount
· Molly — Owner: Monica Gyokeserova of Redondo Beach
· Mia — Owner: Trina Taylor of Buena Park
· Mr. Schnitzel — Owner: Lois and Luis Hernandez of Newbury Park (Top Winning Wiener)
· Hildegard — Owner: Dianne Richardson of Mission Viejo
· Katniss — Owner: D & S Knitz of Mission Viejo