1943 Kefalonia massacres: Life sentence for Alfred Stork, the former Nazi nonagenarian who had once confessed to taking part in the 1943 Kefalonia massacres of officers from the Division Acqui in Kefalonia in September 1943. According to a report from the Telegraph today, Stork, 90, who lives in Germany, was convicted by an Italian military court for his role in the 1943 Kefalonia massacres, which took place after the officers surrendered to German troops. The sentencing was carried out by the Military Tribunal of Rome, the second section chaired by Antonio Lepore, where he concluded the trial of the former corporal who lives in Germany.
"He did not have the courage to maintain his admission of guilt and stayed comfortably in his home in Germany," said military prosecutor Marco De Paoli.
The judgment of the Tribunal is the first judgment made in Italy on the 1943 Kefalonia massacres. Previous proceedings had ended in the death of the accused, as in the case of Marshal Otmar Muhlhauser.
Stork admitted eight years ago to German prosecutors that he was part of one of the firing squads in the vicinity of the so-called Red Lodge, Sept. 24. "We were told that we had to kill the Italians, considered traitors," he said. At Red Lodge, officers were executed, 129 (seven others were killed the next day in retaliation) by two platoons.
The military prosecutor Marco De Paolis said that Stork had "no courage." He also stated that the 1943 Kefalonia massacres case had been an uphill battle because fellow German officers who are still alive would not incriminate Stork.
"There is a disgusting code of silence," he said.
The court found the testimony of witnesses enough for a guilty verdict, and therefore Stork was sentenced to life imprisonment for his role in the 1943 Kefalonia massacres.