Oh yes, it is that time of the year. The spectacular Fall of Rocky Point, Mexico. OK, we might be a little short on the leaves turning shades of orange and red colors, wool snazzy sweaters and early snow fall. But what we do have: plenty of amazing exciting events, crazy fun activities and truly incredible weather. The autumn of Rocky Point is not typical; it is like a fabulous mild summer starting at the end of the year. The water temperature is insanely warm and the nights are blissful and cozy. You might even get a chance to put a long sleeve shirt on when you stroll on the beach at night. Fall in love with Rocky Point, the next couple months of the year are not to be missed!
Get ready, grab your calendar, pen in hand and choose at least one weekend a month to designate as a Rocky Point Beach weekend. Less than a 4 hour drive from Phoenix or Tucson, Arizona, it is a wonderful road trip. Write it down!!! October, November and December are exceptional, but the way things are going on down here, you need to plan ahead. In a blink of an eye, things are heating up here at the fabulous Sea of Cortez, full of adventure and activities…. It’s going to be a crazy busy season.
Check out the Fall scene with 19 noteworthy things to do:
- First, decide where you want to stay, from oceanfront condos, beachfront hotels, to the historic La Roca where Al Capone waltzed and partied until the early morning light. We have so many choices. Need to be close to nature? Camp on the beach at a beach front RV park and sleep really close to the soft sand. Book it and reserve it now.
- Walk around your casa (house) speaking Spanish, if you don't know any, write a few basic phrases down and tape them on your mirror. Think about your upcoming vacation and with a little practice before your trip, you’ll have the basic phrases down in no time. Seize the day or "aprovecha el momento, no lo malgastes"
- Put a little music on while you are planning what weekend to come down and visit our sunny sandy town. Listen to some mariachi music to set the mood.
- Gather your beach towels, beach gear and good books and plan a day of sunbathing in Fall, here in Rocky Point we have the endless summer.
- Check out some cool Rocky Point websites before you go, to find the latest new restaurants, bars, and events. Live music is abundant and something about the salty air and the sea enhances your mood.
- Ignore all the gasps you receive when your friends and family are alarmed of your trips to Mexico, this is yesterday’s news, tell them to get with the times. No use fighting them ….my new line when asked, isn't it dangerous? “Yes, perhaps you should stay home, but I'm brave and strong.” And don’t share your delectable tasty shrimp when you come home.
- Go to the moon and back or just visit the Pinacate Biosphere Visitor Center and take a nice hike through the Pinacate hiking area. You might just feel like the astronauts did when they practiced their moon walk decades ago right here in our little town.
- Book a tee time at one of the 3 beautiful courses in Puerto Penasco to golf. Las Palomas Links course, Laguna Del Mar and Mayan Palace’s outstanding 5 star world class Jack Nicklaus designer course. Did you know it is rated in the top 100 golf courses? Bring your clubs for a road trip, you won’t regret it.
- Feel like a pirate. Pirates, yes happy pirates live here on the cool sparkling Sea of Cortez and they celebrate with music and fireworks. Take a sunset cruise full of dancing and libations on the El Rey Del Mar Pirate ship. Fun for the whole family.
- Check out the Mermaids Art Market this Fall. Check Rocky Point Times event calendar for more information on dates. Nothing says beauty, magic and secrets of the sea like a mermaid. This arts and craft fair features a wide variety of local Artists and amazing items recycled and made from the sea. Looking to take back memories of Rocky Point then put this as a must see on your calendar. Happening on selected Saturdays in Rocky Point.
- Plan a beautiful October weekend around the beach, music and art. Sit back and listen to some smooth jazz. Penasco Del Sol is hosting the 5th annual Jazz and Art festival October 4th.
- Have you checked out J.J.'s lately in Cholla Bay? If not it's time you go back and visit. October 5th is the One Club Open at J.J.'s Cantina. It may involve a few beers and only one golf club but a good time and some laughs are guaranteed, check out JJ's Facebook page.
- Is cycling your thing? Well, what gets better than riding your bicycle along the outstanding Sea of Cortez, check out the 5th anniversary of Club Pelicans de Penasco Cycling race, October 6, with the race beginnig at Chango's Sport Bar.
- Do you like to fish? You’re in the right spot at the Sea of Cortez. Plan a weekend in October and have a drink at J.J's while they bring in the winners for the final phase of the Angler of The Year -Phase III, you might be astonished as the fish get big and the fish tales get bigger.
- Perhaps, off roading is your adrenaline rush? Well, have you ever tried the El Golfo Run (hosted by Rocky Point Times)? If sand and motors start your engines then check out this fun weekend event on October 18, 19 and 20th. Not for novices you must have and know how to successfully operate a 4x4, buggy/rail/rhino/Razor go to rptimes.com for more details.
- Do you like to get dirty? Check out the Dirty Beach Mud Run (obstacle course) at Rocky Point Speedway (formerly Thunder on the Beach raceway near the Reef). On October 26, participants who want to add another 5k to their list need to join in this one. Not your typical 5k but one, featuring sand, mud and water obstacles. Feel like a kid again and get dirty. Go to www.dirtybeachmudrun.com
- Plan your Day of the Dead weekend now. On Saturday Nov. 2nd the Dia de Los Muertas Beach Volleyball Tournament will be happening on the beach in front of the Sonoran Sky and Playa Bonita. The tournament is for a 4 person co-ed team. You can register as a single or a team online. Following the beach volleyball tourney, there will be a Dia De Los Muertos Celebration Dance on Playa Bonita's Patio. Open to everyone, but face paint and costumes required. Bring your camera for some cool photo ops.
- Get on your bike and ride. Coined as "the Greatest motorcycle Fiesta south of the border" November 7-10 is the 13th annual Rocky Point Rally. Reserve your place to stay now, as this years rally is slated to be the largest ever. Even if you have never been on a bike, or have a bike, this event is worth attending. People watching heaven. Sit back and enjoy. Events will be ongoing, filled with music, fun and good times.
- Play in the sand, November 9th will host a “funkalicious beach ball extravaganza” in front of Las Palomas golf and Beach resort. Book your weekend now, as bike week will also be in town.
Well, let's summarize about this upcoming Fall in Rocky Point. So, if you don't like to golf, fish, run, walk, take photo’s, swim, shop, dress up in Halloween costumes, 4 wheel, play beach volleyball, ride a bike, sit on a motorcycle, play on the water, look at art, listen to music, dance in your flip-flops, take a scenic cruise, people watch or eat delicious food, then Rocky Point might not be the place for you this October and November.
Otherwise, if you like one or more of the above activities and just love life and the sea, then come on down. Make your reservations now, as this will be an EPIC fall!! Watch out Rocky Point is on a roll… and the ball is rolling faster.
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing- Helen Keller”