Birthdays are notable and quotable occasions. Greeting card shoppers search long and hard to find just the right messages for special recipients. Often, the most thoughtful birthday cards include memorable quotations.
These cited statements, offering insights and inspiration for birthdays and perhaps life in general, are arranged alphabetically.
- Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age. (Anais Nin)
- Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. (Jack Benny)
- And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. (Abraham Lincoln)
- God gave us the gift of life. It is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well. (Voltaire)
- Have regular hours for work and play. Make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then youth will be delightful, old age will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success. (Louisa May Alcott)
- I just want to celebrate another day of living. I just want to celebrate another day of life. (Rare Earth)
- It is never too late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)
- It is utterly false and cruelly arbitrary to put all the play and learning into childhood, all the work into middle age, and all the regrets into old age. (Margaret Mead)
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. (Mahatma Gandhi)
- Live long and prosper. (Mr. Spock – Star Trek)
- Live not one's life as though one had a thousand years, but live each day as the last. (Marcus Aurelius)
- Pleased look forward, pleased to look behind, and count each birthday with a grateful mind. (Alexander Pope)
- The golden age is before us, not behind us. (William Shakespeare)
- The mind that is wise mourns less for what age takes away; than what it leaves behind. (William Wordsworth)
- The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. (Oprah Winfrey)
- To be 70 years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be 40 years old. (Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.)
- Youth has no age. (Pablo Picasso)
- Youth is happy because it has the ability to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old. (Franz Kafka)
Greeting card shoppers and original card creators may choose to cite these inspiring birthday quotations to mark loved one’s special days.
Writers: Want to learn how you can join Examiner as a columnist in your choice of cities and topics? Email me for details.