Skip to main content

See also:

15-year-old dog dies after being left in hot car for two hours

M. Pendleton
Booking photo

According to a press release from the Anne Arundel County Police Department, a 15-year-old dog died from heat related complications after being left inside of a parked car in Annapolis, Md., on July 1.

The elderly dog's owner, 44-year-old Monifa Pendleton, claimed that she forgot that the Yorkshire terrier, named "Chloe," was in the car; the temperature outside that afternoon was nearly 90 degrees.

Witnesses have stated that Pendleton rushed into a Petco in Annapolis on Tuesday afternoon with the over-heated dog; employees at the store contacted the authorities after seeing how distressed the dog was. Anne Arundel County Animal Control was called to the scene after Petco employees advised the responding officers that the dog appeared to be suffering from a heat stroke.

One officer transported Chloe to the Anne Arundel Veterinary Emergency Clinic for treatment - though the staff immediately began to render aid, the dog was found to be suffering from extreme heat exhaustion and her internal organs were already shutting down. The attending veterinarian advised that it was advisable for Chloe to be humanely euthanized.

Chloe's body was returned to animal control in order for a necropsy to be completed.

Pendleton is facing multiple misdemeanor charges as a result of the tragic incident, including abuse or neglect of an animal and the infliction of unnecessary suffering or pain on an animal.

The police department issued the following warning to their Facebook followers after Chloe's death:

The Anne Arundel County Police Department wants to remind people to “Take Them With You or Leave Them Home” in reference to your pets and/or children. This time of year is CRITICAL to vulnerable people and pets. We must pay attention and we encourage anyone who sees an animal, child, or vulnerable adult in a closed vehicle on a hot day to call the police immediately.

Days ago, a police officer in Slidell, La., broke into a car that was parked at a mall to rescue a puppy who was "near death." Had an alert passerby not notified the authorities about the puppy being locked in the car, he would have died from heat-related complications. Help came too late for a pit bull who was locked inside of a car in Crestview, Fla., for an agonizing 13 hours - the dog's owner had been browsing inside of a Walmart.

If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog-related news, tips and advice, please click the word "Subscribe," near the top of the article.