You have scoured the paper, looked on every job board on the internet, talked to friends and family and any other opportunity you were given to find that “Perfect Job”.
You have worked hard on your resume, beefed up your references, collected stellar letters of recommendation from previous employers. You have found the job, you submit your resume and the waiting begins.
Your phone rings and it is the call you have been waiting for. “Mr. Jones, this is Heather with Dream Job Incorporated. We would like for you to come in and meet with our recruiting staff for an interview.” Hallelujah!! You got the interview. The fateful day comes and you are poised and ready with your letters of recommendation in hand. The interview starts and it is flowing great. You made small jokes and they are received well. You smile, make eye contact with each party and respond effortlessly to each question. You aced it!!
Two weeks later and still no call, maybe one of these are the reason:
1. You talked too much or not enough.
2. You appeared nervous and lacked confidence.
3. Your technical skills weren't up to their qualifications.
4. Maybe they were too good and you appeared overqualified.
5. The manager felt threatened by your skills and experience.
6. You were too vague with a description about yourself.
7. Your personality or the chemistry was not a fit with the organization.
8. Your salary requirements were too high.
9. Your references were not as sparkling as you would have hoped.
10. You were too pushy when following up.
11. You were late to the interview.
12. You were not polite to the receptionist.
13. It wasn't a problem with you; they chose someone within the organization.
14. You dress properly. Maybe you were overdressed or too casual.
15. You spoke unfavorably of a previous employer.
There is always to one reason for which there is no explanation: It just was not meant to be.
It is always a hard blow to the ego when you do not get the job. Don’t get discouraged. Look to your Texas Spirit and stand up, dust yourself off and climb right back on that horse. We always have to remind ourselves. When the time is right and we are where we are meant to be, Things will work out.