iOS 7 is the most feature-packed update for iOS yet. If you’ve just upgraded to iOS 7, then you are probably familiar with a whole collection of new features introduced by Apple like Control Center, Airdrop and iTunes Radio. However, some of the best new features are lying under the surface waiting to be discovered.
Here are some awesome such features in iOS 7.
- Change settings using Siri: Siri used to only be able to set alarms and reminders in previous iOS versions. In iOS 7 you can change many settings using Siri. Ask her to “Open Settings” and she’ll open up the Settings app for you. Tell her to “Turn on Bluetooth” and she’ll do it for you without you having to lift a finger.
- Block contacts: Does someone you don't want contacting you have your number? Just go to Settings > Phone >Blocked to add contacts to restrict. Any calls, messages (including SMS and MMS) and FaceTime calls from that person will no longer reach you.
- Spirit-level app: Launch up the Compass app and swipe to the left to get an awesome new spirit-level app. It uses the accelerometer and gyroscope, just like the spirit-level apps already available on the App Store. Place the phone on any surface and it will display the angle at which it is inclined, so that you can know whether it’s flat or not.
- Shoot in burst mode: The Camera app has an awesome new feature for shooting in burst mode. Just hold down the volume down button and the camera will take multiple shots in quick succession. You can either choose the best from the bunch or save all of them.
- Auto-focus: You can now use auto-focus without touching the screen. Just tap the volume up button to auto-focus in the camera app. Do note that this works with the iPhone 5s only.
- Swipe backwards in apps: If you need to get back to the previous page in an app, then you no longer need to tap the back button on the top-left. Just swipe backwards to go the previous page.
- Multitasking with multi-touch: You probably know that by double-tapping the home button, you get to the multitasking interface where you can swipe up apps to close them. This also works with multiple fingers for closing multiple apps! You can use three fingers to close three apps at a time.
- Clock icon: Did you notice the icon for the clock app in iOS 7? It’s an actual, ticking analog clock. That’s a nice touch by Apple!
- Apps near me: The App Store now has a new feature for showing apps used by the people around your location. For example if you’re in New York City, you’ll get recommendations for apps such as NYC Subway KICKMap and Way2ride taxi, which allows you to pay for taxi rides through the app. This feature is really handy when you’re visiting a city for the first time.
- Disable Control Center within apps: If you're furiously scrolling through a list or you’re playing a game, you might accidentally bring up the Control Center. In Settings you can disable Control Center from opening up inside of apps. After turning this setting on, the Control Center will still work on the home screen.
- Where have you been going? iOS 7 keeps track of the places you've been to personalize your notifications. By going to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Locations, you can see a map with blue circles indicating the places you've been. If you think it’s a little creepy, you can turn off this feature altogether.
- Keyboard tricks: You can access the now-hidden .com button by holding down the dot key when typing a web address. Second, type an apostrophe quickly holding down the comma key. Third, enable the Emoji keyboard by going to Settings > General > Keyboards > Keyboard. This allows you to use those little smileys you see in text messages, Whatsapp and Twitter.
Do you have any favorite tips for using iOS 7? If so, please let us know in the comments.