If you have a cat that ventures outside, even in a contained area under your supervision, it is important to be aware of the many plants that are toxic to his or her delicate feline body. Here is just a small sample of some of the more common plants one may find in the yard or garden.
While the gel and juice are fine to ingest (please consult with a holistic veterinarian), the saponins in the plant can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea and tremors. Also look for a change in urine color. Please do not let kitty chew on this plant.
This popular Christmas plant also contains saponins. While the leaves and berries are low on the toxic scale, consuming the plant itself can cause vomiting, diarrhea and depression in cats.
It looks so pretty as it climbs and decorates homes, gates and fences, but the foliage is extremely toxic to cats. Signs of toxicity include vomiting, hypersalivation, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
Sago Palm (cycads, cardboard palm, zamias)
This is really a bad one. Can cause vomiting, bruising, liver damage liver failure and death.
The essential oils of this plant are very toxic to cats. If ingested, the oils can cause salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and weakness.
Florida Beauty (old dust dracaena, spotted dracaena)
Chewing on this plant can cause dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, increased heart rate, weakness and drooling.
Marijuana (hemp, hashish)
The Delta-9-THC is toxic to cats. Eating the leaves can cause very serious reactions including low blood pressure, low body temperature, seizure, coma, and in rare cases death.
Malanga (elephant ears)
This beautiful plant with the giant leaves contains insoluble calcium oxalates. It can cause intense burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, and difficulty swallowing.
This plant contains soluble calcium oxalates. Ingesting rhubarb can cause tremors, drooling and even kidney failure in cats.
All parts of this plant can be toxic, however large quantities need to be ingested to cause serious problems. If a cat eats a large amount, it can lead to kidney failure.
Can cause drooling, severe gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, drowsiness, confusion, slow heart rate, weakness, dilated pupils and changes in behavior.
Vomiting and diarrhea can occur if ingested.
If you suspect your cat has eaten anything toxic, contact your veterinarian immediately. The ASPCA also offers a 24-hour a day hotline, 1-888-426-4435.
If you found this article interesting and would like to receive email notices about future posts, please click the 'subscribe' button at the top of this page. It's free!