An 11-year-old Boston boy has died of carbon monoxide poisoning after being overcome as he sat in a running car to keep warm during winter storm Nemo on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013. His father was shoveling snow away from car to get it out of a snow bank created by the blizzard as the boy was in the car.
No names have been released as of yet.
Boston fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald said that boy was attempting to help his father shovel the blizzard's snow away, but got cold. There was too much snow from the blizzard and it was taking a long time. His father stated the car for the boy to get inside and get warm.
Unfortunately, the exhaust of the car was covered by the snow bank and it caused the fumes to collect in the car.
Once the father realized the young boy had been overcome by the fumes, the father ended up going into respiratory arrest himself. Reports state that emergency workers took both of them to the Boston Medical Center for treatment.
The boy was pronounced dead at the hospital shortly after arrival. Reports state that the cause of death is being called carbon monoxide poisoning. The blizzard's death toll as of Saturday evening was at seven.