An 11-year-old boy became a tragic casualty of Storm Nemo this weekend. The boy died from carbon monoxide poisoning he waited in the family's car as his father shoveled snow outside in the winter storm, according to a Feb. 9 Christian Post report. The father was reportedly attempting to dig the family’s car of a snow bank.
According to Boston Fire Department spokesperson Steve MacDonald, the boy was initially helping his dad shovel the snow, but when it got too cold for him to handle, he decided to get some heat in the warm car. The dad turned on the engine and continued working.
Unfortunately the car’s exhaust pipe was covered by the snow bank, blocking fumes from escaping. This caused the car to fill up with toxic fumes according to the AP.
The father reportedly went into respiratory arrest, and both he and his son were rushed to Boston Medical Center, where the father was given emergency treatment. The 11-year-old boy, however, was declared dead soon after arriving at the hospital.
Fox News reports that the 11-year-old boy’s death put the blizzard’s death toll at 7 (at that time).
For inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.