The most frequent health and beauty concerns can be remedied naturally by a common household item found in every kitchen: honey – not that plastic teddy bear-shaped container full of honey, but real honey. Raw honey.
It is important to buy raw, and preferably local, because honey that is not raw often has added sugars and has been heated to a temperature that eliminates its natural healing properties and can actually worsen the many beauty cases listed below.
Due to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory antiseptic, and antibacterial properties, honey has the ability to repair and strengthen your body both internally and externally. So next time you have the common cold save yourself the trip to the nearest drug store and visit your pantry instead.
- Sore Throat – add to hot tea or swallow one tablespoon plain
- Cold Remedy – mix 3 tablespoons of honey with 2 teaspoons cinnamon and eat 1-2 times a day
- Cuts and wounds – rub raw honey directly on cut or wound before applying bandage
- Minor burns – apply a cold compress then apply honey and cover with gauze
- Allergy Prevention – the bits of pollen in honey, transferred from flower to hive by honeybee, allow the body to build immunity, which can prevent season allergies. Eat 3-5 tablespoons of honey a day for 2-4 weeks leading up to season change
- Hangover Prevention and Cure – before falling asleep, stir a few spoonfuls of honey into a glass of hot water and drink it down; in the morning, spread honey on a piece of toast and eat
- Salad Dressing – heat 3 tablespoons of honey on stove until liquid and add ¼ cup balsamic vinegar and ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Acne Control – honey’s properties collaborate to fight off acne, killing the pore-clogging bacteria and soothing inflamed and irritated skin; they also fade scars caused by acne. Dab honey directly on blemish (click here for face mask recipes)
- Hair Mask – mix 9 parts honey with 1 part water; use fingers to rub mixture directly on to your scalp; pull the mixture through your hair; rinse with warm water 10-30 minutes later
- Exfoliate – add sea salt or organic crushed oats to liquid honey and rub on skin with warm water
- Soothing Bath – add directly to hot water