August is always the hottest month of summer. And just when we look for relief in fall, most times it doesn’t come until the end of October (and sometimes not even then). Here are some cool treats you and your pup can make together to help beat the heat until winter.
Enjoy one last summer ice cream cone with your pup. He’s bound to love this Peanut Butter and Carob Swirl.
Ingredients: 32 oz plain yogurt (low-fat or non-fat); 1 cup natural peanut butter; and ½ cup carob chips
1. Divide the yogurt evenly into a 6 cup muffin pan.
2. Pour the peanut butter into a small bowl.
3. Melt the carob chips gradually in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Stir every 15-30 seconds.
4. Pour the melted carob into the peanut butter. Stir until combined.
5. Place a spoonful of the peanut butter mixture on top of the yogurt in each cup of the muffin pan.
6. Using a toothpick, gently stir or swirl the peanut butter with the yogurt.
7. Freeze until solid, then let your pup enjoy a cup at a time!
These homemade cold dog treats will last about 2 months in the freezer. If you don’t want your dog to eat them all within 2 months, feel free to share them with other dogs you know.
Back-to-school time calls for a good ol’ fashion PB & J sandwich. And now Fido can enjoy a similar treat too with this Peanut Butter and Jelly Frozen Smoothie Pops recipe.
Ingredients: 4 cups plain yogurt (low-fat or non-fat); 1 ripe banana; 1 cup of blueberries; 3 tbsp natural peanut butter; 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Stir all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
2. Pour into a blender and puree until smooth.
3. Pour the smoothie into an ice cube tray(s) and freeze.
If you’re using a ½ inch ice cube tray, this recipe will yield about 32 treats. These homemade dog treats will last 6 months or more in the freezer. And while this recipe maybe a little tart for humans, you can add some sugar or honey to taste and enjoy the same treat as your pup.
Even though the heat will most likely still be with us in October, we can cool down with a fall inspired frozen treat, Pumpkin Pops.
Ingredients: 1 (1 oz) Natural Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix; 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice; 1 cup milk (low-fat or fat free); 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1. Whisk the vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin pie spice, and milk together until dissolved. (Approximately 2 minutes).
2. Fold, or gently stir in the pumpkin puree.
3. Scoop the pumpkin pudding into small paper cups, small plastic cups, or a plastic popsicle mold.
4. Place them in the freezer and let them freeze completely (about 3 hours).
5. Before serving, let it sit on the counter for 5 minutes. Then release from the mold and serve.
These homemade dog treats will last for 3 months in the freezer. You can also keep them in the refrigerator as a pudding, but it will only stay fresh for 1 week.
These recipes and more are available on dogtreatkitchen.com. You can also buy and download their Easy Dog Treat Recipe Book for even more great dog treat recipes all year long.